Hot or Cold water shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Aaron510, Feb 16, 2016.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another plug for hand stropping! Love it!!

gmaugie007 and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Swiffer

Swiffer Active Member

I have been working with cold water recently (mainly because I have an undersized hot water heater and I run out of hot water while showering). It definitely feels strange but seems to work.

MattCB, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Physics says it's for real.

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  4. kc1ble

kc1ble Well-Known Member

I like it hot, much more comfortable.

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

" I can't even remember over the last 50 plus years ever losing hot water."

Lucky you!! I can recall at least three times in my life where the place I was living suddenly lost hot water. Even if you've NEVER shaved with cold water, it is likely in your future sometime.

CyanideMetal and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. Just lucky, I guess. Watch, we'll lose the hot water heater tomorrow!!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Active Member

Much prefer warm/hot water......besides,when the outside temperature can be -20 F during Winter months here in NH .....there is no way I'm splashing ice cold water on my face first thing in the morning............... Aaaaaaaaaaah!:angry019:

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Good info here, I usually go with cold water shave and a cold rinse

AGHisBBS, Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have recently converted to cold water shaves. It's refreshing, invigorating, and seems to really help limit irritation. I don't dislike warm/hot water shaves but cold water seems to do well for me.

Cold Water.jpg

Joef, gmaugie007, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to the club, Perry.

11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

I second Perry's experience with cold water. :)

Joef, Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Unfortunately when I do a cold water shave it makes the sharpest of blades feel like they are pulling the hairs out with tweezers instead of cutting them. I really do like the way the cold lather and water feel on my face though. And I always finish up with a cold water rinse

Jayaruh, AGHisBBS and PLAla like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This..:happy088:

15. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

Tried a cold water shave for the first time this morning. Really notice a lot less irritation, especially on my neck. I have never been able to shave ATG...too much irritation. Maybe shaving with cold water will allow me to.

16. Robyflexx

Fantastic! I'm very happy it worked nicely for you. Maybe you can try ATG next time very carefully and see if it helps. :)

AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Good news.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  18. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

Since I've never shaved ATG due to irritation, I'm not really sure how I should do it. Should I go slow with the razor, or normal speed as I would shaving WTG? Recommendations?

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Robyflexx

I do mine at regular speed but it may take some experimentation for you to find what works best for you. Maybe try it at regular speed first with the cold water and see how it feels and of course watch your angle and pressure. Good luck and let us know how it works out. :)

AGHisBBS likes this.
  20. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Tried a cold water shave this morning. Cold face soak with wash cloth, lathered up with cold water, shaved as usual with 2 passes ATG. Cold rinse. Did not get a good of a shave as using a hot face soak. I will admit that the cold soak felt refreshing. Did a hot water face soak, lathered, one more pass and a usual BBS. (with a slight touch up)
    It seems for me that the initial hot water face soak softens and preps my beard better than a cold soak. Years ago when we had the electric hot water heater when the kids were here, I'd sometimes run out of hot water, and had to wait for it to heat up or shave cold. but now we have a Rinnai gas heater we never run out of hot water.

MarshalArtist and Robyflexx like this.