Hot or Cold?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by BigCabDaddy, Nov 6, 2015.

?

What temperature do you use to shave?

1. Hot

60.7%
  2. Cold

28.6%
  3. Lukewarm

10.7%
  4. I don't need no stinking water

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:signs011:

2. Herk

Herk Member

I can do either. I always start with a hot shower and soak my brush in hot water but use cold water for everything else. A tad less irritation than hot water but not by much. I find the cold water a tad more refreshing after a hot shower.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Let's not get it twisted: No WAY am I making a move to cold showers except under extreme duress. That being said, after several shaves now, I have to say I think there is something to this cold shave thing. I think the shave is more "efficient" for lack of a better term and there seems to be less inclination towards nicks and cuts. But what's lacking is the satisfaction of a hot shave. Maybe I've yet to adapt to the sensations of cold shaving but as it stands, it's not nearly so pleasing of a feeling. I'm not sure which will win out long term.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You've hit the nail on the head - the satisfaction that comes with a hot water shave, even enhanced with a warm lather.

So the question becomes - do you shave just to remove stubble, or do you shave to remove stubble AND get some ME time? For me, it's more about the ME time, and by golly I'm going to enjoy it to the utmost!

Col C, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  5. Robyflexx

For me it was a no brainer 29 years of razor burn and razor bumps on my neck till I ran across some articles on the internet advocating a cold shave and also some excerpts from early shave books. I now achieve a 3 pass shave everyday without any such problems. I don't feel like I'm giving anything up as my routine hasn't changed just the water temperature. I should mention I live in fl and it's usually in the 80's to high 90's here. :happy069:

6. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Yeah, I really don't have any issues I was trying to solve via cold shaves. I just read about it in an old book -- perhaps one of them to which you refer. It made me curious as I'd never even considered cold shaving before. To me it was unheard of until then. But by golly, it seems to work just like the old book says. At this point, I'm heading in the direction of saying it works better. But it doesn't feel as good. So for me at least, it presents something of a dilemma.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. Robyflexx

I'm positive it's the same book as I recognized the paragraphs you posted on an earlier post. I had never heard of such a thing myself and would have considered it ludicrous until I read the reasoning behind it. A lightbulb went off! :)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  8. Robyflexx

Also I now recognize certain areas that I thought were "_problem areas" as soft whiskers bending by being made yet softer by hot water and pliable skin. Now those whiskers are stiff and slice off with one stroke. :happy088:

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:happy088: I concur, wholeheartedly...
    [​IMG]

swarden43, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  10. Epimetheus

Epimetheus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I figured you might be in FL. Here in Massa-freezin-chusetts around mid February when it has been grey for 4 months, I'd shave underwater in a hot tub if I could fit.

Kizurra, Robyflexx and BigCabDaddy like this.
  11. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Winter time, hot shower n hot shave.
    Neutral temps, neutral waters.
    Summer heat waves, cold shower n cold shave n menthol menthol.
    Every shave is a four pass, not needed but I like it this way and don't have sensitive skin. If not enough time to get my four pass n bbs,,, then the shave will wait until I have more.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Based on info I read from the forum, I switched from hot water (which I loved) to straight cold. It took me awhile to adjust to the cold shock but I find that I have less irritation and inflammation, especially with a aggressive razor. Also, the cold is supposed to help stand the whiskers up while hot water makes them noddle like and lays them down. I guess it's similar as to why you don't put hot water on a newly sprained ankle. Now I find the cold splash in the a.m. exhilarating. Anyway it seems to work for me so I will stay with the cold.

13. 211bma

211bma Active Member

This is me also, I read an blog post on Sharpologist about it and skeptically tried cold water I was surprised but I haven't shaved with hot water since.

14. Robyflexx

I tried hot again last night and went back to cold this morning. ;)

BigCabDaddy likes this.
  15. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

And so do I..;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

I use to warm shave for years and "feel the burn". Came across cold shaving article, gave it a try and never looked back.
    Cold water dramatically reduced the burn, weepers. Bonus is that I don't have to wait for cold water to arrive at tap. Only downside is that I found cream rinses off better in warmer water. A small issue considering the bigger gains.
    I hear the blades last longer in cold water but have not able to give a definitive statement yet.

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I like to use hot water for making the lather, but do cold water rinses in between passes. I find that the cold water soothes the skin and prevents or helps irritation more so than warm water. It is personal preference. My advice would be to experiment and find out what works best for you. Everyone is different, and what I like you may not.

Robyflexx likes this.