Hot Sauces

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by swarden43, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Star

Star Active Member

I brush my teethe with Crystal. Daily.

2. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Texas Pete's Hotter Hot Sauce is my standard, along with Sambal Oelek. For a real kick, I like Mick's Ghost Pepper Jelly, and Dave's Insanity Sauce.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

How 'bout a few recipes from you guys who make your own sauce/salsa? :pot:

4. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

uploadfromtaptalk1375978956290.jpg

Here is the collection of hot sauces that my coworker keeps in the office.:eek:

LookingGlass and Paulie like this.
  5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I like flavor not hot for it's own sake. My favorite is Cajun Chief Green Pepper Sauce. Made from immature bell peppers and other spices. Very nice flavor, just a little bit of hot. Yummy

6. swarden43

My collection, sans the Ring of Fire that I mentioned in my first post. It was because I'm out and need more that got me to wondering what you guys like.
    Hot Sauces (Medium).JPG

LookingGlass, Paulie and MoAllen like this.
  7. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I'm not allowed hot sauce anymore unless I'm in a restaurant. Had an unfortunate incident where my wife said my first chili was weak....so I went a little crazy with Ghost Peppers...slept on the couch a few days. Wasn't pretty. FUNNY YES. Pretty, no.

Jostalli, BamaT, Ryan B and 4 others like this.
  8. swarden43

ShopRite had Texas Pete Hotter Hot Sauce on sale for 99 cents. Had to get some and try it. Verdict - very good:happy088:.

Jasman likes this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I just tried the Yucatan Sunshine Habañero Pepper sauce yesterday & I have to say it had a pretty good kick to it.
    However, I am not the biggest fan of predominantly 'vinegary' hot sauces, so despite the ample kick, I found it a bit too sour as a regular addition to my Mexican food 'enhancement.'

[​IMG]

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Maybe on the more exotic side:
    Being of Basque heritage, I have been exposed to some of the 'spicy' peppers used in the northern regions of Spain (near france) near the Pyrannees. One popular pepper used in hot sauces and/or added to soups, etc, is the Piment d'Esplette, or Espelette pepper, a traditional Basque seasoning. Usually dried & coarsely-ground, it is often used as sprinkled garnish to add kick to dishes. It is also added early on to simmering tomato sauces or red pepper purees to create a rather distinct and fairly-volatile 'hot sauce'. It is also available in pureed form that can be diluted to a desired 'sauce' consistency. I enjoy it both for the sweetness and heat, and none of the sourness vinegar hot sauces inherently have. It may not have the POW! or Scoville Scale ratings of a Ghost or even a Habeñero, ( it falls in the 4000 range, somewhere around the jalepeño and Guajillo pepper) but I find it pleasingly hot for most dishes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LookingGlass, Paulie, Star and 3 others like this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

.....no joke, we'd get one hot meal a day. Once, the chow hall loaded up the chow run for the day with 7 vat cans of peas. Luckily, we had a case of tomatoes from the day before, so we all had peas and tomato sandwiches.

Back to pepper talk, the guy in the cube next to mine at work was growing ghost peppers......those thing have killed people.

Ryan B likes this.
  12. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

I love me some Louisiana Hot Sauce and my hot wing recipe is no joke!

13. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I like El Yucateco habanero sauce. Tapatio is my each day sauce and upon occasion I use a very, very small amount of Dave's Insanity Sauce. It has a wonderful flavor but is incredibly hot.

There is a brown sauce called "California Pepper Sauce" which is very tasty and quite different from the usual hot sauces. I recommend it for a change of pace. image.jpg

14. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Not super hot, but I LOVE Thai sweet chili sauce and it goes with everything.

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My current favorite is Clancy's Fancy - made in Ann Arbor, MI, I'm not sure how widely available it is, but it's great on everything. Spicy without overpowering, and so sorrow hours later. ;)

16. mbastings

mbastings Active Member

My favorite hot sauce is Sriracha, aka Rooster Sauce (there is a Rooster on the bottle). A lot of people think of it as an Asian hot sauce, but it goes well with about everything. I like it because it has a depth of flavor that other sauces don't have and it doesn't just rely on vinegar. It's got the heat, but also a little sweet, and fairly prominent garlic touch. For traditional hot sauces, I like the the whole Cholula line...Regular, Lime, and Garlic.

17. Dan The Man

Dan The Man New Member

I love Frank's Red Hot it's the only hot sauce I use regularly. It adds flavor too not just heat.

When I was younger a buddy and I would try all kinds of hot sauces most just made going to the bathroom painful! What's the point in that?

18. TarheelFXR

TarheelFXR Member

This is our pick too, also Sriracha for that Far Eastern flavor.

T

MoAllen likes this.
  19. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Guess I'm kinda of a wuss with hot sauces. My "go-to" is Cajun Chief Green. Mild but wonderful flavor. Not to widely distributed so I order on line. Which is kinda crazy cuz I live in SE Louisiana.

20. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

el yucateco red, green, and siracha are 3 that i always have on hand. great combo of adding heat and flavor. if you havent tried them..you wont be disappointed.

Ryan B and battle.munky like this.