How adventurous are you with food

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Jul 25, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

I had a Boston pork butt sitting in the fridge that I needed to do something with but I was stuck. The only thing I've ever known to do with a pork butt is to smoke it and make pulled pork and while I love pulled pork I just have a craving for something different. After browsing Google for a little bit I found two recipes that seemed very appealing although they didn't call for pork butt specifically I think it would work. Pasole which is a Mexican stew and Pork Vindaloo which is an Indian dish. I only mentioned what they were because I've never heard of them. I'll try almost any food once and although I wouldn't call these exotic dishes my wife and two sons are pretty picky eaters so I don't get to experiment often and these are probably outside of their comfort zone. Pasole mainly because none of them like corn and I'm not sure what hominy taste like and Pork Vindaloo for the various spices it has it in.

How adventurous are you in the kitchen? Do you prefer to stick to meals you know what the expect or do you like seeking out recipes from various cultures and things you have no idea what to expect? I don't like the idea of forcing my opinions on others but I'd like my family to be more open and stop being so damn picky when it comes to their food lol. I feel like there is so much out there to experience but being the only one in the household with that desire kind of holds me back.

Kizurra and Weeper Warrior like this.
  2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've had half-develop duck fetuces in their egg (balut), love chicken feet, haven't met a dead animal I can't eat - but even so, I still hate carrots. Go figure :)

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

If it doesn't eat me first I am game.

Kizurra, preidy, txskimo and 4 others like this.
  4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'll try pretty much any type of food once, when I was younger I definitely was more adventurous. I too have had balut, chicken feet, eyes, brains.

5. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Neither one of these dishes are exotic to me. I like Posole a lot and your cut of pork will work great. Now if you want "exotic" make yourself a bowl of dinuguan. Yum!

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Life would suck if all I had was meat and potatoes. Posole is awesome. My neighbor makes me a pot for my birthday every year. I love her.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Not so much "in the kitchen," but I generally like trying different things when we go out to eat, although I do sometimes get in a rut ordering the same thing at certain restaurants. I've had a lot of different things, but I've never tried balut, chicken feet or eyes. I've never had the opportunity to try goat meat, and never had pickled pigs feet, two things that aren't rare, I've just never gotten around to them. But I have had escargot, rattlesnake, musk oxen, elk, deer, caribou, squirrel, brain, gizzards, rabbit, shark, and octopus. And I'm sure there are several I can't think of at the moment.

How in the world do you prepare chicken feet? Seems like they would be incredibly tough.

Kizurra, txskimo and Weeper Warrior like this.
  8. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

You marinate them on a hickory board for two hours, bake at 375° for 45 minutes, let them set for 15 minutes, throw them out and eat the hickory board.:eatdrink020::happy097:

Kizurra, KLF, PLANofMAN and 6 others like this.
  9. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

Points!!!:rofl:

10. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Chicken feet?

Find a real Chinese restaurant. They're pretty good.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Any food once.

Kizurra, BamaT and txskimo like this.
  12. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Pazole is being fixed for my family as well as my parents and brother....we'll see how well they like to step out from the norm. I love barbacoa with cows tongue but it's kind kind of hard to find a place that uses that unless they just don't because I'm white lol

Kizurra, BamaT, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  13. mrchick

I had a restaurant try to talk me out of a dish because, "White people don't like it". I laughed and ordered it anyway. I have had to promise not to send something back in order to get it.

Kizurra and jeraldgordon like this.
  14. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Near my place in Brighton, Colorado, there's a hole in the wall, truly-Mexican style lunch counter that serves tacos de lengua (beef tongue) and Menudo (tripe and chiles with Posole) daily. The first few times I went there, they were hesitant to serve unless I actually pronounced everything in Spanish. (I am 6-5, British Isle and Norman French ancestors, pale skin, blue eyed...they have me correctly pegged as being not Mexican.) you may actually need to find a restaurant that caters to people from the Mexican immigrant community. The small restaurants, serving a neighborhood, are the best! Make friends with a bartender at one if these joints, and you'll get any food you can order. ;)

This happened to me at a local Thai joint...I was asked to sample the sauce first. I think this could be driven by not wanting to cause any negative feelings about their food. They just want to make sure you understand what you're about to eat, they don't wish to set you up to be dissatisfied.

Kizurra, BamaT, txskimo and 1 other person like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I live in Korea, I fear not garlic, spicy, live octopus nor kimchi. But the best part is we have thick slices bacon cooked at the table as the main entree. My favorite way is when it's cooked on an angle so the bacon grease drains through the kimchi, garlic and mushrooms frying them at the same time.

Kizurra, KLF, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  16. 211bma

211bma Active Member

Let's just say that if Andrew Zimmer was to quit his gig on the show "Bizarre Foods" I would like to send in a resume!

BamaT, Kizurra, txskimo and 2 others like this.
  17. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Salivating...

I need to visit Korea. I'm a huge fan of their cuisine.

18. mrchick

So am I!

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@mrchick and @Omaney if you make it to Seoul dinner is on me!

Kizurra, txskimo and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm pretty adventurous with food types.
    no tolerance for uncleanliness.
    and certain critters won't be on my menu, unless starvation is an issue.
    no armadillo, don't want leprosy
    no possum, they're plain disgusting
    not a fan of eating anything's nads
    no durian
    no balut, no ludfisk, no blood sausage
    pretty much everything else

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    Kizurra, KLF, BamaT and 3 others like this.