How do you like your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Oscar, Dec 31, 2010.

1. icedog

icedog Member

My favorite coffee happens early Sunday mornings, flavored with a good shot of Carolans Irish Cream (my preference over Baileys), while listening to classical music on the radio (via a vintage tube style Zenith ... usually tuned to CBC, i.e. Canadian Broadcasting Corporation), and while reading the morning paper or current book, and relaxing in a recliner in the study ... the shave comes later.
    Because I'm retired though, and I almost always have a bottle of Carolans beside the coffee machine, almost any day can start out like a Sunday.

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Completed restoration on a 76 La Pavoni Europiccola. Makes great espresso, Americano's and Cappuccinos.
    IMG_1372.JPG

Next project in the works is a 74. This time going with a more conservative colour.
    IMG_1379.JPG Metallic sand textured grey.

3. KAV

KAV Well-Known Member

Black, Hot Kona brewed in a simple Coleman percolator.

Erik Redd and Carbide Mike like this.
  4. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

Awesome ! I love it

Erik Redd likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I bet you sleep with one eye open a lot.

Carbide Mike and Erik Redd like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

At work, and home, I like Texas Pecan flavors, with a good amount of cream.
    If I'm out with the family, at at a restaurant, then plain strong coffee with a splash of cream.
    I use to drink it black, all the time, but I tend to drink about 24-28 ounces at a time. That much black coffee was messing with my stomach.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  7. RetLEO-07

Shoot, back at my old job, I'd drink 24 cups a day

Carbide Mike and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Black. Like my soul.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm hyper enough, with what little I have. It wouldn't be fair to the world, if I drank more.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Staying awake was the priority. Then once I was off nights, I just kept going. I've cut waaaay back since '07. Now it's maybe 3 cups a day

Carbide Mike and DaltonGang like this.
  11. I just roasted 250 grams of Ethiopian Yukiro Cooperative beans to a Full City roast. Really a nice coffee, with bright citrus notes - which even I can taste with my unsophisticated palette. Another of my "better daily life" hobbies.

Carbide Mike and swarden43 like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ah-ha! A fellow roaster! What do you use to roast? I've been using the same stovetop popcorn popper for the past 6-7 years. My favorite bean is Kenya to a City+ roast.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  13. I had an iRoast 2 for about 10 years which finally bit the dust, and last summer went all in on a HotTop. I was really up in the air about the cost of the HotTop vs the alternatives, but after using it for six months, couldn't be happier.

Carbide Mike and swarden43 like this.
  14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I like my coffee black. I usually buy whole bean. Favorites are Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and Ethiopian Harrar. Medium to dark roast.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Bold and smooth with 1/2 & 1/2.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  16. RetLEO-07

Lately I've been putting a quarter cup of espresso in my cup followed by coffee. Good thing is, coffee is free in the Caf!

Carbide Mike likes this.
  17. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Too many years of drinking mess hall coffee. Now I want dark bold coffee with real cream and raw sugar. Plus I want it hot - one degree below boiling. Can't stand luke-warm coffee. Still remember my first cup of coffee. It was in the Army while in the field during basic training. It was cold and everyone else was coming back from the mess tent with big steaming canteen cups full of coffee. So I went and got my first cup. I found out then how the Army makes coffee. Recipe: take a three pound can of coffee - pour it into five gallons of water and bring to a boil. Then you get in line and walk by this boiling caldron, take your canteen cup and scoop the liquid. You want to be towards the front of the line so you get mostly liquid. Those in the rear tend to get more grounds. It was hot - thats about all I can say about it.

Carbide Mike and RetLEO-07 like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've been using my Aeropress at the office this past week. It works like a charm for making a hot, strong and perfectly balanced espresso-like cup. I'll cut it with water for a more Americano-type cup. I'm mostly "a black cup of joe" guy but a hefty dose of warmed milk makes a nice latte.

Simple process— and I'm not quite as 'overly detail obsessive' as this fellow in the video is, but the results are similar. I use a stainless filter instead of paper.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  19. I've got the same setup for my coffee at the office, along with a Bonavita 50 ml hot pot, a Hario Slim manual grinder and a Yeti 20 oz cup. Makes a great cup of coffee for a morning at work, or I've carried all the stuff with me while traveling overseas as well.

Carbide Mike likes this.
  20. African and Indonesian beans,lightly roasted, are my preference. I can put back about anything with a smile, don't even flinch at chicory.

Carbide Mike likes this.