How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. joshkamradt

joshkamradt Member

Im sorry i updated My phone and The autcorrect is giving me a problem

2. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

I highly recommend Collectivo Coffee- out of Milwaukee, WI. We've been ordering ours online for a couple years now, and have not been disappointed. The Ethiopia Yirgacheffe is my favorite!

3. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

Here's two of my favorite coffees, my favorite coffee mug and Bunn My Cafe brewer. I purchased the My Cafe brewer for $56.00 on close out at Lowe's.....a great deal! For me, the My Cafe provides a good cup of coffee(way better than Keurig) quickly, and with little muss or fuss. I always use the pulse brewing option. It takes maybe a half minute to a minute longer to brew, but makes a noticeable difference in quality.
    [​IMG]

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I like that mug.

Since I started this thread way back when, I've had to swear off regular coffee. Out of nowhere I developed acidity issues in the stomach and all of the sudden coffee started tearing me up. So I've been drinking Kava (de-acidified instant), luckily I really enjoy the taste b/c at $5 a jar, it ain't exactly cheap. But no stomach issues anymore.

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm in the market now for a quality burr grinder.
    Most of my really old grinders (most are blades) have gone on to be used primarily for spice grinding; and my current burr model is past it's prime.
    I'm looking at certain Baratza models now as well as other quality makes in the $200 range. We don't do espresso, but I simply want good, consistent grinds for drip, french-press, aeropress.
    Right now my old grinder grinds everything the same (semi-coarse). I'm looking for suggestions from experienced fellow coffee fanatics.
    [​IMG]

6. rweb82

rweb82 Active Member

Breville makes a good burr mill grinder in the $200 range. My in-laws have one, and they love it. I have their electric kettle for tea/french press, and it is fantastic as well!

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ooooo...a Breville 'smart' grinder— in a choice of colors, too. 25 different grinds! $199...
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Aide Pro Grinder: $199; Die cast metal construction, stainless steel cutting burrs, 15 Selectable Grinds

[​IMG]

8. Glaswegian

Glaswegian Member

Thank you, gorgo. In case you'd like to pick one up, I purchased it at World Market and think it was around $5.00. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the shape is irregular....almost like it was handmade. The rim is nice and thin, as well, which I prefer. The close up below will give you a more accurate depiction of the color. Other colors are available, but I really like the deep blue best.

I'm glad your stomach has cleared up and you've found a substitute beverage you enjoy.
    [​IMG]

PatrickA51 and gorgo2 like this.
  9. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

Bodum makes a nice grinder with a small foot print

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I use a Mr. Coffee 12 Cup coffee pot and Yuban Dark Roast Coffee. Yuban Coffee300.JPG My Father and Mother both drank it Black No Cream or Sugar.
    My Father said that a "Cup of coffee was not drinkable if it would not take the Paint off the Side of a US Navy Ship 12ft. Below the Water Line"

Some where around my house I still have his Coffee cup, that was in a picture take of him before he died.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
    ObiDon and gorgo2 like this.
  11. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

@Jake

Do you use an espresso grind with the Aeropress?

Dave

12. nsomnac

nsomnac Active Member

We have that exact KitchenAid in our office. Nice grind and very durable, but is EXTREMELY MESSY! Granted we probably make 5 - 10 pots a day - it just spews grounds everywhere because of the way the catch jar is wedged beneath the grinder. I'd take a pic to post how bad it is, but it looks like someone already cleaned up today's coffee disaster.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thanks, Barry. I'm liking the looks and features of this one. 11" tall; 14 grind setting; plus the price is a bonus: Lists for $143—but one can find them for under $100 on some sites.
    "Borosilicate glass catcher reduces static cling of coffee grounds"—THIS is a real plus!

[​IMG]

14. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

I bought 2 for my daughters and suggested one for my next door neighbor and one for my wifes son . Some of the 4 have been in use for almost 2 years now and all 4 people ar very pleased. When the first came out you cold find them discounted for as little as $39. That's how much I paid for my daughters grinder. Now they are very popular.

HolyRollah likes this.
  15. toyman

toyman Member

The consistency of the grind from the Baratza's is hard to beat. If you are not doing espresso, you could probably go with the Virtuoso and save a few dollars. They are excellent grinders at a great price point. I use the Preciso, but mainly do espresso and need the micro adjustments to dial in the grind.

HolyRollah likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Speaking of coffee and creating a need for a new grinder, I recently received a nice birthday gift in the mail from my sister.
    A pound of freshly-roasted whole bean Peet's coffee. They ship the day of roasting, arrives the next day.
    One pound of whole beans every month for the next six months.
    I love my sister! :)

[​IMG]

ObiDon, PatrickA51 and Glaswegian like this.
  17. ins0ma

ins0ma Well-Known Member

18. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

I prefer French Press and occasionally drink Nespresso espresso.
    The Bodum burr grinder on Amazon.com is now priced at $100, except the for one in black, which is $130.

19. angrygio698

angrygio698 Member

Dunkin donuts cream and sugar every morning America runs on Dunkin ;-)

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Coffee Nerd-Related: Whilst perusing various coffee grinders at the local Williams-Sonoma, the sales assistant steered me towards a 'new' product recently released from Nespresso, the Nespresso Vertuoline™—another one of those convenient 'pod' (or puck or capsule) coffee makers. I've had the Keurig coffees and although convenient, I wasn't overly impressed with the cup produced. The sales assistant asked what type of coffee I preferred, grabbed the appropriately colored capsule for dark roast, popped it into the unit and dialed it for strong regular brew. In about a minute or so, the cup initially filled with amber froth about 1/2 thick, followed by a rich, dark brew. The final cup's appearance reminded me of a Guinness stout, thick head & all (similar to the small cup at right in the photo below). Taste? Not bad at all. Appropriately hot, but rich tasting as well. Overall, a very decent cup of coffee that deserved seconds.

With a sticker price of $350, I'd have a hard time justifying the convenience at home, especially since we drink multiple cups (3-5) in the morning from the Technivorm.
    But I am working on the finance dept at work about getting one of these babies into the staff lounge…;)

[​IMG]

ObiDon likes this.