How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Just tell her that it's a mere fraction of what you spend on shaving related ite....oh well....maybe better not :)

Spit_Fire and HolyRollah like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So true! :happy102:

3. Barrylu

Barrylu Well-Known Member

The Technivorm will last 20 plus years. Just look at the plug to see how well built it is. A friend of mine has his 30 years now and it is as good as day 1. Mine is 15 years old. When you cost account it out it's not expensive at all.Furthermore, the coffee can't be beat.
    Joe Behm is a very reputable man his roaster is worth every cent he asks for it. His coffee pot is probably very good as well. It just has too much plastic for me. Plus I am set for at least another 15 years. You are probably set for another 28 years. I have an extra one in the garage and am thinking of putting it in the next garage sale.

4. Barrylu

That is my greatest fear. Mainly that, after I die, my wife will sell off my shaving and coffee gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Troy M and Darkbulb like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Slightly o/t.

I've often wondered what coffee buried in a forgotten Army post in the arctic would taste like. C-rations too, for that matter. Yes, I would try them. Not saying they would have been great to start with but they can't have lost THAT much flavor.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Oh eBay will price correct it :)

7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Of course, now I want this ...

[​IMG]

it never stops. The Baratza Encore grinder is $130.

8. rlb2444

rlb2444 New Member

Spit_Fire likes this.
  9. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I have been using the Dutch coffee maker, Technivorm, for about 7 years, now. I use a pretty hefty stainless steel grinder, but the brand name escapes me. I prefer to buy my whole bean roasts from two roasters, Baltimore Coffee and Orleans Coffee exchange.

10. Luziana_Geezer

I have owned both, but my Bonavita stopped working about a year after I started using it. The Coffee Geek forum reports that there were a lot of issues with the first ones to be brought into the country—of which mine is—but since you have the Technivorm, you've got it covered.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Coffee in the Denver Vietnamese community...

Attached Files:

12. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I use a Keurig. SWMBO not long ago found out she is allergic to coffee, so we switched from a drip coffee maker to the Keurig I had before we got married in 2008. It still makes good coffee, albeit at about $.50/cup, which is more than it would cost to drip.:eatdrink013: She drinks hot tea now.

13. Barrylu

I guess you are talking about me.First photo is my Quest Roaster. Second photo is my coffee nook with my collection of Zassenhaus grinders and espresso machine. Quest M3 Roaster 001.JPG Coffee Nook 002.JPG Quest M3 Roaster 001.JPG Coffee Nook 002.JPG

14. Luziana_Geezer

That's a nice collection of grinders, Barrylu.

15. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

I have a Capreso burr grinder, and I typically use the French press. I have an aeropress and I used to have a I forget the brand espresso machine ( it was an entry level one "real" one, not a "steam toy". Anyway I wasn't using it and I lent/gave it to a friend to free him from his Starbucks problem).

I've been thinking about trying pour over at home, or maybe a mokapot to mix things up a bit.

I'm pretty unceremonious about my morning coffee at current, so I'll refrain from posting a picture of the "Coffee Nook"

16. I use a Keurig with a Parisian roast or a good bold blend.

17. Luziana_Geezer

My coffee buddies from another forum are going nuts over a pour over device called the Gino Glass Dripper. I was tempted to try until I realized two things:

1. Our expectations aren't always met 100%, and with this device costing a little more than, say, the Clever or the very reasonable Melitta that I already own, I may need to think this one over a little more.

2. The Gino requires a Kalita Wave filter, #185, to operate, and it appears that the owners of the design have chosen not to offer the filters or to distribute them. That means that you would have to choose from a rather long list of Amazon sellers in Japan whose prices are all about the same, or pay grossly inflated prices to a few places here in the USA that sell them. In either case, there seems to be just a little too much effort and cost involved in carrying thru on the Gino.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IY2WPCC/?tag=thshde-20

This describes the award-winning process of making coffee with the Gino.

http://www.coffeebrewguides.com/gino-dripper-guide/

Spit_Fire likes this.
  18. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Sadly our Mr. Coffee Keurig crossed over into the coffee promise land just before Christmas. I am still in mourning. A few days later our regular coffee maker died. (I suspect a conspiracy) The wife bought a new Mr. Coffee - nothing fancy but it has a nice "Strong" brew option.

Troy M likes this.
  19. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Nice! I've seen the Kalita Wave(and the Clever) before, do you know how it compares to the Gino?

20. Luziana_Geezer

Only what's been written at two other forums, I'm afraid. As noted, I am reluctant to go all out for something that requires me to wait for its filters to arrive from Japan. Unless you live in CA or NY, your chances of finding the Kalita filters locally would be slim or none. I will confess that a glass or porcelain medium would be better than plastic, so there's no doubt that either the Kalita or the Gino would provide a superior cup to my cheap little Melitta. Note, though, that the wife and I enjoy our morning brew made with the world-famous Technivorm.