How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That's just about the same as in the Marine Corps Mess Halls.

Douglas Carey and Fred Hill like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I noticed that nowhere do the instructions state, "Finish with a generous splash of soy milk, top with a generous dollop of dairy-free, fat-free whipped cream and a dusting of carob chocolate sprinkles on top."
    :sick007::lyrtuy5:

Dzia Dzia, Fred Hill and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. PatrickA51

Then it would not be able to remove paint 2 fathoms below the water line at 10 knots under way.:angry021:

4. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That looks really complicated.
    I was hoping for a simple ratio.
    Say two table spoons for 8oz of or something. But this is the navy we are taking about. If you made it simple men would be sitting around not working to make coffee.

Turk, PatrickA51 and Fred Hill like this.
  5. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Uhmm...Maybe it's because The US Marine Corps has always been 'part-in parcel' with The US Navy; share the same Bases; Mess Halls; Ships, etc..., etc...: during WWII many Sailors were chosen for US Marine Corps Duty; transferred into "Marine-Units" for the invasions in the Pacific. Many Navy Corpsmen became US Marines, too. I was in The Navy and The Army, but I'm darn well proud to have served with The US Marines aboard our Ship! "SALUTE!" ("This old salt was "A DEVIL DOG'S GOOD COMRAD-IN-ARMS!"):pot:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. hippiebrian

hippiebrian Well-Known Member

When I was in the Navy, those huge square cans of coffee were used like currency. I got a bunch of things chromed (handwheels, guage rings, etc.) by "borrowing" cans from the mess decks and trading them. They came out beautiful! If anyone else here was an MM, picture main control with all chrome guage rings and handwheels (including the throttles). Sweet it was...

That said, we always used to claim that the coffee the Navy bought was what was swept off the floor at the Maxwell House factory at the end of the shift!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

An old warrant officer in my shop got really ticked when one of the seamen scrubbed out his ancient coffee mug. I didn't understand why at the time.

PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  8. Fred Hill

I was aboard The USS Yosemite AD-19. (Ships Cook 3CPO 1960-64). We were "The Flagship" for (then) COMDESLANT 7th, FLEET. (Bay Of Pig's/Cuban Missile Crisis/Berlin Wall; Viet Nam, etc..) We took supplies on-board, at what ever Port we anchored/ported in. There was a 'reciprocity-agreement' between Countries/Islands/ Foreign Sea Ports, etc.; & we took on supplies, THEREIN! What we received (were you ever on/in a SUPPLY/ 'Work Detail'/Landing Party, in which ANY of the Bushels; Baskets; Containers, etc., were STAMPED "MAXWELL HOUSE?" I Never Saw it!) we cherished! We, The Cooks, used to wonder & joke about where the Coffee & ALL-OTHER Supplies came from? But; when we SAILED below the equator..., we knew "OUR ADMIRAL" wanted "The Best Coffee Available" on-board our Ship; and, 'Laddie.' we, somehow, GOT-IT! :) "Bon-Voyage, Matey!" "GO-NAVY," & an Honorable "Salute," to all of "The United States Marines & Sailors" whom I personally Cooked for, & served, aboard The Honorable Destroyer Tender "The USS Yosemite AD-19," (Sunk in 1994) "We took care of our Fleet, & Our Men, right down to the Coffee they ENJOYED, all (24hrs) day long, 7 days a week! " They ARE my "HEROES!" Amen!
    :eatdrink013::angry021:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    PatrickA51 and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:happy097:

Fred Hill likes this.
  10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Semper Fidelis.:happy096:

cubancigar2000 and Fred Hill like this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

When I make It I use the Aeropress. Makes a great cup.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    hippiebrian likes this.
  12. Fred Hill

The "Bos'ns" used to melt 'LIPSTICK' in the coffee during the 'Mid-Watch,' n-made "RED-LEAD" under-sail! (We ALWAYS wondered about our Bos'n's-Mates?) "HOOAAAAHH! Anchor's Aweigh, my boy!" SAH-LHOOT!:signs068:

gorgo2, hippiebrian and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. PatrickA51

My ex-wife did the same thing to my Dad's Coffee Pot and his favorite coffee mug. She did that on a visit to my Dad and the Wicked Witch of the North (his Wife) In all the time we were married (to my Ex-wife) he never spoke to her again,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    Douglas Carey likes this.
  14. PatrickA51

Fred
    My Dad was on the USS Dixie AD-14:eatdrink013::happy088:

hippiebrian and Fred Hill like this.
  15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Was your Dad a Marine? I can understand why she is your ex.
    :)

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yeah, those guys in Deck Dept were sometimes...ahem...um...

(I was a Ops spook)

hippiebrian and PatrickA51 like this.
  17. Fred Hill

As I remember 'She' (The Dixie) was Ported in The Philippines; right/wrong? The "Yosemite," was a "DIXIE CLASS" Destroyer Tender. The "Dixie" was the first of her kind. We were stationed in the Atlantic (Flagship for "COMDESLANT 7") (Ported in Newport Rhode Island). ("UNCOVER," Lads; in honor of two mighty 'Twin Ladies!' Amen!):eatdrink047:"Hip-Hip-HOOWHAH!"

18. PatrickA51

Home Ported in San Diego. Decommissioned in San Diego. Sold for scrap in 1982 :angry017:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Dixie_(AD-14)

19. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I used to french press my coffee but my wife took my french press in the divorce so my girlfriend and I use a dollar store drip machine and we take it with a splash of whatever milk like substance is in the fridge and a touch of sugar (or splenda for her). We usually have almond milk since its easier for her to digest (type 1 diabetic).

Fred Hill likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Mr. Coffee, 4-cup drip.

gorgo2 likes this.