How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice! Do you roast your own?

2. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

That's my next step. I use local roasters only. Currently Reunion Island coffee, only 10 min drive from house. Also Muldoons own and Java works both close to my work place.
    Do you roast ?

gorgo2 likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yes. I use a stovetop popcorn popper - preheat to 400, dump in half a pound of beans, crank the handle. Done in about 10-12 minutes. Bag it and let it rest for 48-72 hours, grind and brew. That easy.

Check out www.sweetmarias.com not only as a store but as a resource of more knowledge about ALL aspects of coffee than you can shake a stick at.

gorgo2 likes this.
  4. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Familiar with Sweet Maria's. To much for shipping since I'm north of the 49th.
    Good guy I often read his site and watch his video.

gorgo2 and swarden43 like this.
  5. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Use a drip maker with either Folgers or kona blend.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

21 gms Ethiopian Makambo in 11 oz water via Kalita Wave pour over

gorgo2 likes this.
  7. ram57

22 gms Guatemalan in 11 oz water via Kalita Wave pour over[

gorgo2 and Robyflexx like this.
  8. ram57

21 gms Guatemalan in 11 oz water via Kalita Wave pour over

9. ram57

22 gms Guatemalan in 11 oz water via Kalita Wave pour over. My Cory DNU Vac Pot arrived and cant wait to give that one a spin.

10. ram57

Fired up the Cory Vac Pot for the first time today and the flavor of the Guatemalan was so much smoother and I still haven't dialed in the proper amount of coffee to water ratio. Vac pots appear to be the real deal when they say they provide the best cup of Joe you will ever drink.

11. Grind 2 Tbsp. Eight O Clock Bean, fold a regular 4 cup drip filter with my patented fold that makes it fit into a pour-over cone, boil water, slowly pour over in 2 or 3 'pours'. Oh----I forgot. I pour a sploch of milk into my mug first so when I drip the coffee into it, it is 'self-mixing'!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    gorgo2, BeShaved and Robyflexx like this.
  12. ram57

22 gms Ethiopian Makambo 12 oz water in Cory Vacuum Pot

Robyflexx and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have four of those same cobalt mugs -- nice size, nice smooth handle.

ram57 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sunbeam Coffeemaster, 2 spoons each of Harris Teeter Southern Pecan (ground) and Kona Blend (ground by me). Good cup. Would like to know who supplies for HT and other store labels but probably impossible to find out. The new Mr. Coffee burr grinder is doing a fine job but every now and then a single bean or two jumps around in the hopper and escapes getting ground up. Probably shouldn't irritate me but it does.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    ram57 likes this.
  15. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've had that mug ever since I ran away from home back in '03...not sure how long I had it before that. It's my favorite. In fact, I've gotten to where I can only brew 10 ounces at a time. Which brings me to my cup o' the day...

Aeropressed, inverted method, swirled not stirred, 14 grams medium-fine Panamanian ground in my modded Hario Skerton, 20-second press after a 54-second brew time.

ram57 likes this.
  16. ram57

22 gm Organic Brazil Daterra 12 oz water in Cory Vacuum Pot

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Old-school...

[​IMG]

18. ram57

22 gm Organic Brazil Daterra 12 oz water in Cory Vacuum Pot

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Keurig at the office: Always black, usually Starbucks Cafe Verona or French Roast

Electric percolator at home: Wife makes it for us with milk and sugar. Usually what's on sale (Maxwell House, Eight O'clock; Community - but every now and then I sneak in some Cafe Du Monde with Chickory). This is how I start the day.

Evenings after dinner, especially with our Cuban friends: stovetop expresso pot with Bustello. I use a separate mixing creamer container to mix the "first fruits" the pot offers mixed with sugar into a paste, then add the rest of the pot. Delicious.

ram57 and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Great memories! My grandma used to serve Bustello to guests when I was a child. Smelled lovely :)

ram57 and GatorJoe like this.