How do you make your coffee?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by gorgo2, Dec 11, 2011.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Went shopping for a new coffee maker and my wife spotted a Faberware electric percolator so I decided to try it as a change from the standard drip coffee makers I've used for decades. Wow, I really like the coffee from this machine! I remember my Mom using a stove stop percolator when I was a kid, so now I'm on the hunt for a stove top model when I'm rummaging through the antique and thrift stores for shaving stuff.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Welcome to the glorious past of electric percs! We've got two in use and two more put back against the Coffeepocalypse.

3. HoosierTrooper

Thanks! I put a filter in the basket to catch some of the grounds, just pushed it down on the stem and it fit perfectly. Does that violate any percolator protocol?

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Since I'm one to spit in the milk of most protocol, I have no idea. I do know they still make filters especially for those old baskets - they're just flat filter paper discs with a hole punched in the middle. Don't know if that's what you used or not but personally I've never gotten grounds to come through into the pot so the bag of perco filters I have is almost full.

If you like how your perco does, let me encourage you to be on the lookout for Sunbeam's Coffeemaster. Even my wife's converted now, though she finds it harder to assemble than a regular perco (and it is, but barely and more than worth it).

5. BassTone

BassTone Well-Known Member

I know this is a thread more about how we make and take our coffee, but I found this video quite amusing. Hope you all enjoy!

6. HoosierTrooper

I saw the ones like you're talking about, but I used the standard filter that goes in most drip machines. Sunbeam Coffeemaster, you say. Now on my list of things to look into, thanks!

Edited to add: There's several of those on the bay right now.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yeah, I saw that too. One of them even has the top-pot holder (a wire contraption for holding the upper pot when they're separated). A tall glass works just as well, though.

8. joe lawlor

joe lawlor Guest

Just when I was thinking my old Faberware is the best there is , now you have me thinking there's something better .

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

The grass is always greener...

10. HoosierTrooper

And the coffee is always blacker...

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Faberware, along with a similar GE, is one we've pretty regularly used for a couple years now and it really does make excellent coffee (or makes lesser storebrand coffee taste better). The Coffeemaster - and vacuum types in general, I'd guess - makes for stronger flavor with less coffee usage...but whether that equals better coffee? Only one way to find out!

12. wyatt46

wyatt46 Well-Known Member

Purchased these beans Monday at Costco...
    Very nice rich flavor and aroma
    HPIM2597.JPG

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

So I just checked shipping from Sweet Marias for a 4 or 8 lb sampler of green. Pricy to Canada! :angry032:

8LB Sampler
    Shipping to my PO Box in Southern Manitoba, 15 miles from the US Border, the cheapest option is $36.95 (USPS, Canada Post) ​
    Shipping to Maida, North Dakota near the border is $8.99 (UPS, No PO Box), or $11.16 (USPS)

Ouch. I wish I knew someone in Maida, my wife works less than 3 mi. from there. I suppose I would need to look into import regulations on coffee beans at that point too.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I just received an order from Burman Coffee Traders. They're in Madison, Wisconson. Don't know if shipping would be any cheaper.

15. Everett

Everett Well-Known Member

Good to know. I figured I should start looking for other suppliers as well. Thanks for the link Steve!

Edit, I just tried with a 3 lb popular bundle, and I get a message saying "No valid shipping methods are available for your order."

I suppose I should contact them for a quote before I go ahead.

Thanks again!

16. simmonds

simmonds Member

I just bought a new Bunn BXB model home coffee maker. For years I just walked by and laughed at the high price of the machine...why would I spend 100 bucks on a machine when I can get a Mr Coffee for 20? Well I am so glad I finally handed over the coin for this great machine...I now have perfect hot coffee in less that 3 minutes any time! You gotta try one of these things!

17. HoosierTrooper

Having recently joined the ranks of percolator users with the purchase of the modern Farberware I set out to find a vintage stove top model and hit paydirt when I found this 9 cup vintage Century for $5 at an antique store yesterday evening. I'm going to wait until the weekend to try it out the first time.

[​IMG]

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. JimPo42

JimPo42 Purported Hand-Shaver

I use a cheap B&D grinder and a french press. Not the best but hey I'm poor and they work.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. HoosierTrooper

First use of the stove top percolator was a success. Took a little longer, about 15 minutes total, I let it perc for 8 minutes once it started. I did learn that the Maxwell House breakfast blend is too fine for the basket, a lot fell through when I loaded the basket, so I ended up using a filter. May buy a coffee grinder or start grinding the beans at Krogers.