How do you tell what type the razor is?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by AnarchoPhil, May 8, 2010.

1. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

Several months ago I picked up a DE razor at an antique store. It had some age on it but wasn't in bad shape. I've cleaned it up and I know it is a Gillette but I don't know what model.

2. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

3. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

thanks cuz, I can't make a 100% positive ID but the 1966 Super Speed looks the closest.

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

5. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Thanks for that website url! I was finally able to id the razor that I like so much. Sorry to digress from the indentification of the initial razor in question.:)

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

You are welcome! :happy088

7. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

dude, thanks a lot for that! Looks like I got a 1954 (Z3) Super Speed Silver Tip for $2!

The reason I couldn't make a positive ID before was because the band above the dial on mine was wider than was shown on the others but the '66 looked the closest. Looking at the code under the tray helped a lot too. I had never noticed it before.

Now... how do ya clean it?

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

*** Warning: These instructions are only for silver colored metal razors like the Super Speeds, not gold plated or plastic handled razors.

My method of choice for cleaning a TTO is as follows:

1. Bring enough water to cover your razor to a boil, remove from heat and then put the razor with the silo doors open in the hot water, let it sit until it is cool enough to touch.

2. Spray the razor real good all over with Scrubbing Bubbles and let sit for a couple of minutes, then have a good go at it with a toothbrush. Repeat this as often as needed till soap scum and buildup is removed.

3. Give it a good polish with some MAAS Metal Polish or something similar, being sure to get into the nooks and crannies with a couple of Q-Tips.

4. Another go round with the scrubbing bubbles to remove any MAAS residue.

5. Soak the razor in mineral oil for a while to help lubricate the inside mechanism, remove and rinse the oil off with some hot tap water, what remains inside will act as a lubricant.

6. Dry off the razor good and then enjoy!

9. Be extremely careful with the boiling water and MAAS if you have a gold plated razor or razor with plastic handle...

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Yep, great point, I guess I should have quantified the instructions to say that was only for silver colored razors like the Super Speeds.