How does the 1950's Mircormatic shave?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by brumble, Mar 26, 2009.

1. brumble

brumble New Member

May be getting what I think is a 1950's bullet tipped Micromatic. I've never used a SE and so I'm wondering what type of shaver this is? I know YMMV, but thoughts/opinions from anyone with experience using this razor are appreciated. Thanks.

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I'm new to SE shaving myself, but I do have a micromatic and I can give you a partial answer.

I've got an open comb micromatic. It's more aggressive than your bullet tip. I also have a featherweight SE (a GEM with a plastic handle). I find that the head on my micromatic requires a funny shave angle. Flatter than shaving with a DE but higher than shaving with the featherweight. I think all micromatics share the funny head shape, but I could be wrong.

In any case, go easy on your first shave. Go slow and pay attention. I get awesome shaves from SE razors- better than any shave I ever had with a DE.

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

get a 1912.

4. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I agree with Dave. A 1912 shaves much better than a micromatic. I have a few and I just don't care to use them. You can get a good shave out of them, but they give more irritation and are more work than a 1912/1914/1924 Gem/Ever-Ready.

5. brumble

brumble New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Seems clear that the 1912 is a better shaver than the Micromatic.

My question is really whether to even bother trying to shave with the Micromatic or to should I simply consider it a collector piece?

I've never tried a SE and to be honest I haven't been all that interested in SE shaving or SE razors. The Micromatic belonged to the grandfather of an acquantaince and has been offered to me as it's known that I'm into classic shaving gear. I appreciated the gesture so I'm providing a gift in exchange. Think if I don't pick it up it's going to hit the landfill, so being a bit of a sap I'd rather it at least sit in my shave den than be buried in garbage.

6. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

+3 on the 1912. As for the 1912 being a better shaver than the Micromatic? You bet if for not other reason than the Micromatic aka Junkomatic should not be classed as a shaver.

Don't even think about using or collecting the Junkomatic. Instead PIF it to someone you really, really don't like. Not some one on TSD or SMF though.

7. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

That is a bit over harsh of a review. You can get a decent shave out of it. Just don't use hardware department blades and take care. However, if you aren't interested in SE shaving, I would just save it.

8. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

I get good shaves from mine, as good as any GEM, although I prefer the G-bar.

9. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

I used a Micromatic and didn't get that horrid an opinion of it. Did a decent job for me with no blood loss. A decent shave with another vintage tool.

10. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I think the micromatics are okay. Not as good as the 1912. Its very aggressive though and I'm close to bbs after 2 passes without going ATG.

11. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I get great shaves with all types of Micromatic's.The 1912 is a great shaver also,but come on chaps,it is only a trainer wheels razor for budding Micromatic users.;) Thus the name "JUNIOR".:D

12. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i challenge you to a duel. snuff boxes. daybreak.

13. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

Ahchooo!!!:laugh042:laugh042:laugh042

14. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Odd.. none of my 1912s are Juniors. Maybe some of us don't need those training wheels. :D

15. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Micromatics aka Junkomatic, just GEM's answer to Gillette and their TTO DE razors. For once Gillette got it right but GEM didn't.

While some of you may get good shaves from the Junkomatic (the YMMV theory at work) I still prefer the 1912 model as well as lather catcher GEMs over the Junkomatic.

I hope that all of you who enjoy good shaves with the Junkomatic would give a 1912 or lather catcher a try. I guarantee you will never go back to the Junkomatic.

Oh, yeh, Dave if you need a second in that duel with Spinyeel! ::kngt

16. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

bust out the poschl :laugh042

17. MsBlackwolf

MsBlackwolf Queen of Critters

Well Crap! I didn't get the razor with the "training wheels"!

18. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

What kind of guarantee are you offering?

I've tried both a few times and get as good a shave from either, although I still prefer the G-bar, actually I prefer DE's and Gillette's but for non Injector SE's the Micro-Matics are as good as any IMO.

19. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

hes just very anti-micromatic :)

20. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Shave with it! I was highly skeptical of SE shaving, but I tried it and now I love it. Make sure you use SE blades intended for shaving, though. I'd hate to see what an industrial use SE blade would do...