How far do you go with your shaves?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Jun 1, 2015.

1. I like a very close, smooth shave. When I shave my face, I make 5 passes... but that's a bit misleading, because I don't just make a clean pass, much of each of those passes includes multiple and partial strokes over the same area. Really, I only get my cheeks and jaw shaved as smooth as I like. I've long since given up on getting a close, smooth shave on my upper lip and neck... to do so would cause me so much discomfort, razor burn, etc, it wouldn't be worth it, and I'd probably still never get it as smooth as I like.
    Maybe I'm too anal. I have a feeling, especially after watching a number of youtube videos, that many guys simply care about making their faces look clean shaven, and don't care if running their hand over their face reveals invisible stubble. (I do this too, on occasion when I'm in a hurry)
    I've also read posts here where guys claim to make two passes and be smooth.
    So, am I just anal, or is my beard tougher than most?
    If it matters, I use a Schmidt R10 Mens Retro Vintage Classic Double Edge DE Safety Razor. I also rinse the blade in ice water between passes.

178-bplatoon likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It really depends on the soap I'm using, how slick and protective it is. I really try to stick with a 3pass shave with touch ups. My technique has improved that I can get a great shave with 3passes, but yes sometimes I do get into the "shaving zone" and I'll do a 5pass shave.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I shoot for a 3-pass BBS every time. That's not to say I achieve it every time. I do know my limits and if taken too far, wind up with razor burn.
    I've reached a point with my technique and knowing my gear that I never have a bad shave, just some are better than others.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I used to do the 3 pass shave, but I decided probably a year or so ago to just do a 2 pass shave. It works great for me.
    zBABY.jpg

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    For me, the number of passes is a direct correlation to the slickness of the lather, the life and quality of the blade and the particular razor of the day. If I am shaving with my R41 and lathering a mediocre-good soap, such as CC (IMO), a complete 3 pass shave, including an ATG pass may not be possible. But if I am shaving with my AS-D2, a new Polsilver SI and a super-slick Mystic Water soap, I can perform unlimited passes. The point of my post is to be flexible; pay attention to the current shave--and NOT make a pass that isn't smooth.

6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

for a de shave I try to stick with three passes. for the most part I usually get a really nice shave, but like Steve said, sometimes I get exceptional ones.
    if I'm trying straights, sometimes I'll do more, likely a four pass, 2 straight( up and down), then maybe 2 passes with a de. as I get betterwith the straight, I'll phase out the de segment.

7. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

When I started DE shaving I was doing 4 passes with a Lord L6. As I learned more, I cut it down to 3. With my Futur I now do 2 passes, sometimes with a touch up here and there. It's not 100% BBS but close enough to it not to be worth another pass.

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  8. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

One thing I learned early on is not to chase bbs. It only caused me problems. I do a 3 pass shave. No touch ups. When I started this I'd notice places like my jawline and spots on my neck that wouldn't b perfect. Then I focused on my angle more going over those spots the next day. Eventually I was in a routine and had my beard mapped. I then could shave and get pretty much bbs daily which was a great feeling. Now I just shave. I'm rubbing my face right now and can't feel any stubble. But I will say beard mapping and learning my pattern made a world of difference. It may change ur order of passes in areas but it's worth it .

Bill_F, Dzia Dzia and Troy M like this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

:signs011:

10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

2 pass + touchup for BBS with a Gillette Adjustable with Astra SP blades or Weber PH with Personna Reds

11. I am still dumbfounded at these men saying they get BBS with 2-3 passes. With 2-3 passes, (Hell, even 4) I get sandpaper. Maybe I should try some good shaving soap.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  12. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

You might want to go with a sharper blade. Unless of course you already use Feathers. You also might want to look at your angle to start getting a closer shave.

13. Perhaps I'll try some good shaving soap and the feather blades. I've been experimenting with angles for two years since taking up the DE shavers. As far as the way my beard grows, I've been figuring that out for a long time... I'm 48.

14. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

i do 3 and a "touch up" pass which can have multiple passes in the "touch up", my that is mainly to jaw line or neck area do to weird hair growth...but i am just like you, i like to feel that BBS and sometimes it just doesnt happen...however i can do that most the time with irritatin but i think that is because i have learned MY routine that can get me to that...i cant say it enough how much j-hooking has helped me in this area....and of course WELCOME to the den.

15. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

2 pass and a quick touch up. I'm usually impatient because I look forward to the aftershave too much.

Hodge likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I started with 3 passes but now I do 4 passes most of the time. I do WTG XTG AXTG and ATG. I need to do 2 WTG passes in different directions before the ATG pass. I can't get BBS unless I go against the grain. As stated before it requires good prep and good slick lather, I don't have the right lather I will stop at 3.

I can do 4 passes without irritation now, even with a R41, but it took time before I could reach this point.

17. Okay, Keith: WTG is "with the grain," XTG is "accross the grain," ATG is "against the grain." What is AXTG?

18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

2 passes.
    If it's a great razor/blade/soap then no clean-up passes are needed but sometimes the equipment/my lack of skill requires a few touchups.
    I never do a full third pass.
    If I am not very-near-to-clean/smooth shaved at this point something is wrong with me or the gear :)

19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It means across the grain but in a different direction.

20. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Have you tried any preshave products? Since adding a PSO to my shave regime Ive gotten close and smooth shave most days with 2-3 passes. A quality soap is also important for me to get smooth shaves.

Sara-s likes this.