How far do you go with your shaves?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Oldschoolpaulie, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1
    For the longest time I thought pre-shaves didn't really add anything to the shaving experience but I must say that since I started using Myrsol Emulsion as a pre-shave I have gotten some very, very close and comfortable shaves. Especially with straight razors.

2. Have not tried that.

3. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I did two passes this morning with my Futur set on about 1.75 and a Gillette 7o'clock sharp edge that had the shaves on it already. I would say that the shave is BBS on 95% of my face, including around a couple of scars that are problematic sometimes. There are a couple of small areas where rubbing ATG feels a little rough but nothing horrible. I don't shave every day, this was a couple of days growth, so maybe that has something to do with it.

4. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Usually 2 passes with my Slim Adjustable and different blades I got from TryABlade. ( Love my Astra SP tho ) Found soaps make a big difference and still find myself going back to VDH as it is easy to lather and very slick.
    I do use @Sara-s PSO recipe in the tutorial section. Changed my shave quality completely!! It's cheap and you can make it to your liking by changing scents, ratios for thicker or thinner, types of oil! Makes for a super slick, nice shave! The wife uses it now and tossed her shave cream and uses just the PSO! I put it on at the end of my shower and leave it on and apply lather over it. Don't know if it will work if you face lather.

Sara-s likes this.
  5. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Echoing those who have suggested preshave products, I suggest more prep/better prep. There seems to be a lot of ymmv with various prep techniques. I suggest trying a hot towel, can be combined with other preshave products or lather, just figure on giving it longer when first trying, you can later shorten the time if it works. If your water comes out hot, just soak a small towel and hold it against your face. Refresh it as it cools and repeat. Some threads on various prep :
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/prep-and-how-to-get-that-velvet-squeegee-feeling.37440/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/pre-shave-prep-made-a-huge-difference.31635/

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/towel-treatment-for-beard-prep.26351/

You can also try stretching the skin, it can help with the more difficult areas, there is also "blade buffing", which it sounds like you may already be doing on your own:

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/brush-sanitizing-j-hooking-blade-buffing.39774/

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Like you especially in the beginning 5+ passes were the norm for me and not the exception and most often I still wouldn't get a "true" BBS. Like you and I think most of us, at least in the beginning, we are all a little anal about getting a "true" BBS. Changing/adding product and blades helped some, but time and improved technique helped the most for me IMO. Also getting over the need for BBS every shave made my shaves not only a bit quicker and more enjoyable, I actually think they are closer also now. Some places on my face just won't get BBS no matter how many passes I make or how much suffering I endure. So my goal is to get an irritation free shave over a super smooth one. I get consistent DFS+ shaves and I'm very happy with them. I do 2-3 passes with soap and then a touchup(basically another full pass with just water), a hot/cold water rinse and I'm good to go. My shaves take anywhere from 20-30 minutes. As for your upper lip, that's easy just grow a moustache.:happy088:

7. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I Mostly get a BBS by first giving my beard a good hot soak making sure it's well hydrated then lather with Cella Croap, brush teeth and comb balding hair, touchup lather and shave ATG, Relather pulling skin as I shave. For the tough spots around neck i use a Gillette Slide eliminating the need for a Slant Bar razor, cold rinse, splash of Bay Rum.
    Favorite razor and blade combos: Weber PH with Personna Israeli Reds or Crystal Blades or Gillette Slim, Fatboy or BB with Astra Blades

8. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Certainly it depends on that lather I get that day. I have three pass shaves with a clean up if necessary. I can usually fix the lather during the my shaves.

9. Very great, informative video , gzp. I'd already been doing a different variation of the Jhook (sort of wider arcs) but I'll try those other techniques.

10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/brush-sanitizing-j-hooking-blade-buffing.39774/\

Great informative videos above, sadly we didn't have videos like them back in the late 50's. But what I learned from my dad was that the Gillette slide was simply to angle the razor and shave straight down or whatever direction is needed, using the same effect as a slant bar razor, I guess it's like angling the blade like the blade of a guillotine or use of a chefs knife easily cutting those hard to get pesky neck hairs.

11. Brad58

Brad58 Member

I shave my face and head every day and I'm only interested in a "great" shave - nothing else. I do two passes on each with very little touch up. Of course, the quality of a shave is quite contingent upon the variables; soap/cream, razor, blade, etc. I don't concern myself with much prep work other than "shaving only after showering."

nelius22 and Troy M like this.
  12. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I've settled in on 2 passes for the most part. I don't worry about WTG, ATG, etc. I start at the top and shave down for both passes. That is generally enough for me. Sometimes I get BBS, but pretty much like DFS most days. I'll shave again tomorrow, so its not a big deal. Head shaves are generally 2 passes as well, front to back both times, with an occasional touch up around the back of my skull and behind my ears.

Brad58 likes this.
  13. Thanks, men. The J-hook technique has me down to three passes for BBS. I've also been using shave soap before applying my shave cream on each pass.

14. 1passjoe

1passjoe New Member

1 pass unless I have a date night. I tried 2 and 3 pass routines, but may face would suffer towards the end of the week.

15. Tsilatipac

Tsilatipac New Member

I recently grew my first beard at 47 so one I'm just neck shaving and cleaning up the cheek area. I'm using bio-oil as a PSO then fusion gel for lather. I do a 1 pass shave but I double pass where needed when there's visible stubble. I love the straight shavette for keeping my straight beard lines. Will be going to a brush and soap when my Costco supply of fusion gel runs out in a decade or so...

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you are into shooting, you'll be surprised at how much fun shooting cans of shave gel can be. :)

Back on topic, most mornings are 1 pass plus touchups. This has the added benefit of allowing me to shave in the evening too if I so wish.

Sunday mornings are my only three pass shave day. Either way, I rarely spend more than ten minutes shaving.

Tsilatipac likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

for the most part I shave every other day. sometimes I will shave 2 days in a row if it is needed or if I have somewhere special to be. I don't get BBS on every shave. there are a few problem areas on my neck that I cant get completely smooth no matter what direction I shave in. however, I have been getting way closer shaves since I started wet shaving and using DE razor. I haven't ventured into straight razors yet but I have one I tried to use once. I will eventually try it again.

18. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I shave 2 passes WTG every other day. Something important coming along, I add a ATG.

Greg W.

19. Str8Guy

Str8Guy Well-Known Member

I do a three pass shave then hit the trouble areas. I find using proper skin stretching techniques to assist greatly in achieving a close shave. As far as the upper lip the "fools pass" is best and when done properly it gets no smoother.

20. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new at this, so my experience may not mean much, but I try for a BBS every day that I don't have a tender spot from the day before. The closest I've come still leave me finding tiny patches of stubble around the jawline if I hunt for them. Normally I do 3 passes: WTG, XTG, and ATG followed by a touch up for those spots that I can never get smooth. Trouble is, that is how I get those tender spots. :( My beard is fine and patchy. The only thing I can grow that looks like it belongs is a mustache and goatee. I used to shaver every other day when I used a Fusion, but since taking up the Gillette Super Speed, I enjoy it enough to try it again every morning. I think one thing that helped was attempting to map the grain of my whiskers. When I had the Fusion, it was always down for the first pass, and up for the second, with a touch up around the edges. Of course, my wife thinks I'm crazy spending so much time getting ready in the morning, but I figure if I enjoy it, why not take my time. :)

All the best,

Bill