How long do blades usually last?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Inverted, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Inverted

Inverted Member

Sorry, I know this has to be a common question and I searched with no results. How often are you guys throwing blades away?

2. dsharp

dsharp New Member

I was just commenting on this in the Razor section. I'm a newbie and went 5 days with a Dorco and 4 with a Derby blade, but my Wilkinson hurt today on only day 3 with it. It may have been a bad blade, but if it wasn't an outlier then maybe Wilkinson just isn't the blade for me.

They are so cheap I'd be happy with 3 days in any case. I think by the third day any blade would be notably lesser than days 1 and 2. Perhaps a super sharp blade would mean improved comfort by that time, but I haven't tried those super sharps yet to know.

3. Inverted

Inverted Member

How many passes do you do per shave?

4. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I try to get at least 4 per blade. I actually rinse my razors head in Alcohol. Maybe I am cheap.

5. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

The answer is totally YMMV, and depends upon the blade and your face. For me, A blade gets used 3 times and tossed. If it cuts or nicks me before then, it gets tossed. I do 3 passes, with a touch up.

Blades are cheap, so I buy what I know works (but still experiment with unknowns) and toss them while they still give me a nice shave. Some guys hang onto them like they're the last blades in the fallout shelter, and the commies are banging on the door. Which is cool, because it works for them.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That sounds about right when using 'milder' DE razors, but with the hyper-aggressive ones, I try not to push my luck beyond 2…maybe 3.
    No blade shortage here (I have too many!) and since I only use a DE razor maybe 2x a week, I don't hesitate to use a 'fresh' blade often.

Radiotube and GDCarrington like this.
  7. BigMark

What! I just did the math and I have enough blades to last me anywhere from 3.5 years to 5 years. Kevin I will find out how long a blade lasts real quick when I get my FaTip.

HolyRollah likes this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Ha! I dun figured that if I use 1 blade a week (used twice); equals 57 blades a year…I'm good through 2024.
    And yes, Mark, you'll be the first to know when it's time to change out the blade on the FaTip. :shocked003: ;)

GDCarrington and BigMark like this.
  9. mickeyobe

mickeyobe Active Member

Forever. Okay. Almost forever.
    I use a Rolls Razor.

Mickey

Radiotube, gorgo2 and GDCarrington like this.
  10. J.F. Martin

J.F. Martin Active Member

I like to do 2 shaves with a blade, 3 pass. I could get more shaves but Id rather not.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Only you can answer that . Me. 2 shaves.

12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm on my 10 shave with a Personna injector blade and its still going strong. a DE blade will last 3-4 shaves for most people (including me).

13. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

For me prep makes a big difference. I have some pretty wiry whiskers and can trash a blade in one shave if I don't get my whiskers soft. With good prep, I can get 2 weeks of great shaves with that same brand of blade.

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I get 4 great 3-pass shaves with all the blades that I use. Several can go 5-7 easily.

As stated above, it is very much a YMMV thing.

15. BigMark

What is your pre-shave regimen my good sir?

16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I just let my lather sit on my face long enough to soften my whiskers. Takes 10-15 minutes but the results are worth it for me. I think the time depends on your whiskers so some guys may find 5 minutes is enough. Some may take entirely too long to be worth it I guess. I can tell my whiskers are ready when the blade just wipes them off my face. If I hear the sound of whiskers "popping" my blades don't last long at all.

BigMark likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Any where from one to nth.
    Honestly, some folks toss 'em after one shave, others have been known to get shave numbers in the double digits.

Me, I put in a fresh hand stropped blade on Monday, shave every day (always 3 passes) and toss after Friday's shave, always hand stropping before putting the blade into the next day's razor.
    By following that routine, I never have to wonder how many shaves I've already done, and for me, I never get to a point that the blade is pulling or tugging.

And for those who are wondering about hand stropping...

I've been doing this with my DE and SE blades every day for the last 4, 4-1/2 years and I've never cut myself. Just pay attention to what you're doing and respect the blade.

18. geeeyejo

geeeyejo Active Member

Does stropping hone the blade? If so why is it necessary for a new sharp blade?

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I can get around four decent shaves out of most blades. I usually toss the blade after two or maybe three, because after about two, the quality of shave degrades pretty quickly for me.

20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I am just learning also, but honing builds an edge, where stropping smoothes it out.

GDCarrington likes this.