How long do blades usually last?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Inverted, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I went 7 with a Bolzano a few months back. Now I don't keep track. When I use a different razor, I change the blade. I'll generally only use the same razor a few days consecutively. Variety, spice o' life and all that.

2. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I agree with @SHAVEWIZARD420
    But I just soak the razor head with blade in 91% ethanol for 30 to 40 seconds and then hang it up. When it starts to pull I change the blade then

GDCarrington and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  3. argus

argus enjoys hairy lady legs

Any blade I tried went max 3 shaves and the 3rd one wasn't worth it. So in my case 2 is the max before serious discomfort or having too much work touching up

4. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

When I used to use a Mach 3, I would change it every month if I didn't have a beard, or every six months if I did. It was always so uncomfortable, I didn't really notice a difference. If you get that kind of mileage out of a cartridge, the money saving thing isn't as big of a deal with DE. However, I swtiched to DE because the shaves with a cartridge were not good ones, and they were uncomfortable for me. I typicly get 2-3 shaves out of a blade, doing 3 pass shaves. I strop all my blades 30 times per edge now, and that makes them even smoother. They are cheap enough that I don't mind pitching the blades before they start to tug. I do this for quality shaves, and don't mind what it costs.

5. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

Currently mine are lasting around 3 shaves each. However, there is a huge difference between blades. On my third shave with a Feather I see less tugging than I don on the first with an Astra SP.

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My husband (who shaves his face and head) gets 3-4 shaves from a Feather blade. Given the low cost of DE blades, we don't worry about trying to make them last longer.

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I got burned a week ago cuz I was tryin to see how long I can make a blade last. the astra sp magic number for me is 5. on the 6th shave I had the worst irritation of my life

8. Pete E

Pete E Member

Had a horrible start to my shave this morning as I'd forgotten to change the blade. It was a Personna Lab Blue and this would have been shave No5..I got half way through the 1 st pass and gave up! It was dragging terribly and just not worth persisting with..The new blade was a joy to use by comparison..

9. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I get 4-6 shaves with my Feathers, and Derbys. I normally make 4-6 passes, but, I make sure that I rinse, and dry both the razor, and blade after every shave.