How long does your wet shave take?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Razor Blade 79, Mar 15, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

So…does the shave time clock begin the moment you grab a razor? Turn the water on? Walk into your shave den? ;)

Discounting a pre-shave shower and other 'prep,' my actual 'shave' (i.e. the gradual removing of facial whiskers) may take a little as 4-5 minutes with a 3-pass aggressive DE razor, or as much as 15-20 minutes with a 3-pass straight razor shave.

2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I assumed from the time I grab soap and brush and start making lather. I wasn't counting prep, which I do in the shower as I am taking a shower anyway and the prep adds no time.

3. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

For me, I count the time from I step into the shower and/or find my gear and until I've wiped the sink clean and ready to leave again.

4. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

My personal time starts with a brushing my teeth, then hitting the shower. After showering, I prep my soap, then wash my face. Then I start to shave, after shaving, I cold water rinse. Then my after shave splash, cleanup. From start to finish about 25 minutes.

5. BadgerMan

BadgerMan Member

Just starting out (only three DE shaves so far) and I reckon at the moment it's taking me about 30 minutes from the time I start the whole process to the time I've put everything away and that doesn't include a shower. This is why I shave in the evening - I get up early enough for work without having to get up another half hour earlier ;) Also as others have said the reason I started DE shaving is to have a better, more enjoyable shave, not a quicker one!

6. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

It takes me about 20 minutes, including my shower. Without, around 10.

7. KingColliwog

KingColliwog New Member

If we want to compare shaving time, I think it would be more logical to only count well... Things that are directly related to shaving/you wouldn't do if you were not shaving. So I'd count all prep work except the shower because that's something that you would probably do anyway and the time spent in the shower will vary greatly from person to person.

8. lobomalo72

lobomalo72 Member

Well I love shaving so I take my time doing it. Most times it will go from 45 min to an hour. On those days I'm a little busy at night it may take 20 to 30.

9. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

40-45min with shower everyday :D

10. Redmond

Redmond Member

5-10 minutes for a 2-pass, face lather shave.

11. GRB722

GRB722 New Member

Shower times vary. Depends on how long I want to unwind in a hot shower. Shave time is around 20 minutes.

12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

15 mins +/- 5

13. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

An hour and a half if I'm in a hurry.

14. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

For me a good shave lasts about 15-20 minutes. I love to smell the soap i use,celebrate the lathering and the shaving as well. It´s time for me where i can relax and enjoy the moment. For me sometimes it´s kind of like a ZEN-thing...I only shave on Sunday,and i love the feeling when it´s friday or saturday that i can "create" my equipment in my head i will use on sunday. That´s fun. Which soap will i use,which blade,which brush...wonderfull!!! :happy093:

15. DudeShaving

DudeShaving Member

It takes me about 15 minutes from pre-shave soap to aftershave splash.

16. An average shave for me takes 20-25mins. which includes stropping etc. Time well spent :)

17. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

About 15-20 minutes for 3 passes. That's from prep to splash.

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

mine usually takes twenty minutes
    but that's the passes, touch ups, brushing my teeth, and combing my hair
    all done in twenty minutes.

19. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

From the very first step that I take towards my shave routine to cleaning up the sink and leaving the bathroom, it takes me at least 20 minutes with a safety razor. If I'm taking my time and using a scuttle for warm lather, then I could easily spend 30 minutes on the entire process. If I were to spend the absolute minimum amount of time on everything, I still couldn't see myself finishing much sooner than 15 minutes. My hair is tough and the contours are tricky, plus I have dark hair so I really need to take my time doing a good job because if I miss any whiskers, it's very noticeable.

20. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I always do a 3 pass shave and it takes me about 15 minutes from building my lather to my post shave routine. I don't know what causes some people to take an hour, that's crazy to me. But everyone enjoys their shaves differently.

gadabout likes this.