How long does your wet shave take?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Razor Blade 79, Mar 15, 2014.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

A 2 pass shave takes me 3-5 minutes most mornings. It is rare that I take more time than that.

2. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Are you this guy?

crackstar and PanChango like this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Impressive technique. If I use a straight razor, it takes me about 15-20 minutes to shave. Using a DE, I face lather and get near BBS in about that time.

Matt0210, crackstar and Demidog like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just ballparking these...

DE: 3-4 minutes. Similar with SE and injector, probably a tad longer due to the less forgiving blades.
    Cartridge: 2 minutes, approximately.

Sometimes I stretch it out to something over 5 minutes, and I know the longer I take the better the result (usually) but them's my averages. I suspect my USN training of eating chow fast, showering fast and going to the can fast has been too deeply ingrained. My wife says that's a fact where eatin's concerned.

I do know that face-lathering 100% of the time saves me time, and recently realized that now almost all of my strokes are made up of quick, light buffing no matter what razor I use. That probably speeds things up too, though it just seems the natural way to shave now.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm with HR on this. Though the M-F shave for me is about 25 mins. Like him, it's a 2-pass w/touch-up. Sunday me-time shave is about 40 mins.

Demidog likes this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I bath at night and shave in the morning so I need to hydrate my beard. 2 minutes to allow the hot water to get from the far end of the house. Another 2 or 3 minutes to setup (change blades if needed, start soaking a brush, selecting a soap and allowing it to bloom/soak et cetera). Soak my face with a hot wet towel for 2 minutes. 5 to 8 minutes actually shaving. Another 1 for applying after shave balm and after shave. Another 2 minutes to clean up my mess on the counter. 18 minutes.

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

On work mornings, and especially shaves at the gym, I am usually a little over 5 minutes from the time I fold my towel to putting the last splash of aftershave. On the weekends I am closer to 20 minutes.

8. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I responded to this thread back when it started and I'd been DE shaving for a couple of months and thought that shaving took about 15 minutes. Now, if it takes more than 5 minutes I am moving really slow. What I've changed since then - moved to a synthetic brush over a boar (no soaking), simple 15-30 second face wash with soap and hot water, face lathering instead of using a bowl or mug and 2 passes only. A full head shave takes around 10 minutes.

Demidog likes this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I bowl lather w/3 pass. 35-40 minutes start to finish including rinsing and drying the razor and cleaning up the bathroom sink etc..

Demidog likes this.
  10. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Before I retired it too about 15- 20 min. for my morning shave, but now I take 30-45 min. I can now take my sweet time and enjoy making a nice lather, have a nice hot wet hot towel face soak, and take my time shaving.

11. Marc D

Marc D Well-Known Member

It usually Takes me 30-45 minutes. Loading soap and Bowl lathering, 3 passes with a clean up pass, then cleaning up shave gear

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

It depends on many factors -- if I am in a rush and if I am doing a straight razor shave or a DE or SE. And it depends on how many passes I am doing. Typically (with shower and clean up) 35-40 minutes. Generally I don't like to rush.

13. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I was hoping that I would have gotten a lot faster by now and I sort of feel that I have improved, but I still spend longer than I'd like. I haven't been keeping a close eye on the clock but it still looks like I can easily spend over 20 minutes on a shave, with 25 being the average when I'm in more of a rush, easily around 35 when I'm more relaxed. My main priority was getting completely painless shaves though and I feel that I have mostly achieved that, so now I just have to figure out how to cut down on the time spent. A lot of time is surprisingly spent just cleaning the sink, rinsing the brush and bowl, and slapping some aftershave and moisturizer on my face.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Three years later and still takes the same amount of time.

Love it!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Demidog likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I leave my watch on the counter when I shave. Weekday mornings breakdown approximately like this: Pre and lather production about 5-6 minutes. The actual shave(2-2.5 passes) about 10 minutes. Post is about 6-7 minutes. Total, give or take 23 minutes. I make sure that I have the time. Rush=blood.

Demidog likes this.
  16. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

15-20 minutes with 3 pass shave, I could do it in 10 minutes if I'm in a rush.

Herm2502 likes this.
  17. cpool222

cpool222 Well-Known Member

10 minutes if its weekdays, up to 20 minutes if its a Saturday so I can savor the aromas :bounce015:

18. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

20-30 mins for a 3 pass shaver when starting the clock from preshave oil and lather production to alum and post shave balm application.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

around 30 minutes...ish. choose the weapons,wash face,hot towel,bowl lather,2-3 pass and pick-ups,thayers, some times alum or both,aftershave splash .clean and dry tools.unless its new soap,razor then longer.

20. Houdini5150

Houdini5150 Member

20-30 minutes. 2-3 passes. Also depends on how much I try to go over my trouble spots on my face