How long should I wait before...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tommy_C, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

trying a slant bar?

I've been reading up on slants and I'm intrigued by the fact that, apparently, a slant can get noticeably closer than a normal DE. At the same time everyone seems to say that they are not for the beginner.

So how long should I wait? The only DE I have used is my '48-'50 Super Speed, reputedly one of the mildest razors possible. While I have only been wetshaving for a few months now, I do have my technique down enough so that I can shave without nicks or cuts (provided I do a thorough prep) and get 99% BBS even on my neck.

At what point should I consider that I have enough experience to move up to the "big league" and get the Merkur Slant?

Thanks...

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I would say as long as you have your technique down you are fine. They aren't the beast everyone says they are. If you have been shaving for a few months now you will be just fine. Buy one and then you won't want anything else.

Good luck

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

forever. get a GEM.

;)

4. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

I echo what offshoot says, slants don't shave better, just differently. However, I personally find that I get more bang for the buck with each pass from a slant than many of my non-slant razors. I will say this though, if your only DE experience is that '48-'50 SS, then jumping to a slant is an awful wide chasm to bridge. You should try some other more aggressive razors first. I suggest either a Red Tip SS, a late '40's-early '50's Aristocrat, an adjustable (Fatboy, Slim, Super) set around 5, or even a Merkur HD. When your technique is solid with any of those, you will be ready for a slant.

5. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Throw an astra superior in that SS and it wont be so mild. Its an expfoliating shave to say the least.

6. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

I've been DE shaving for a 1/2 year now and have all of one (1) shaves under my belt with a slant---today in fact. I will tell you I received a closer shave faster using the slant over my 65 SS using the same blade. I did a bit of research and my understanding is the slant does shave differently in that it forces the blade to create a slicing "sideways" cut while you shave. It is tantamount to keeping the head of a normal DE straight up and down while pulling the razor down the face at an angle--ex: sideburn to chin. The blade slices through the whiskers at an angle as it glides semi-sideways across them. I need more shaves and practice with it, but I'm already sure this is my new go-to razor. Maybe give it another month or two to solidify your technique and then go for it.

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I don't find the astra superior to be that aggressive. It's just sharp and smooth. If you want aggressive, try a feather or Silver Star. Both are uber-sharp and unforgiving.

8. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Yeah, I had sort of thought I might work up to it a bit. I was thinking about either a Merkur 1904 open comb, or a Merkur Progress first.

9. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Gems seem a little hard to find. I've watched your YouTube videos, though. They look very cool. And I plan to start using your hand stropping technique for my DE blades...

10. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

My progression has gone from HD to flair tip, virtually the same.
    Then open comb, little more aggressive
    Then Gem, not for me D.
    Then Slim adjustable. Love that one.
    Might try a slant in the future or if one lands in my Christmas stocking.

11. eddieb208

eddieb208 New Member

I've used a Hoffritz Slant for around six months and find that it is just as easy to shave with as any other DE razor. I blade buff and J-hook with it and have not cut myself yet. It's a great razor!

12. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Or an Ever Ready. :D

13. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

I have been looking more at the GEMs on ebay, and I am quite tempted. I do like the look of the head on the GEMs. It almost looks as if the angle of the head encourages you to place the head flat against your cheek, and it would seem that the blade would then be at the optimum angle.

Is that not so?

14. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

You are correct, sir! at least in theory. Many find that by tilting just ever so slightly, they get better results (aka closer shaves). But of course YMMV! ;) They can be found on Ebay for a reasonable price, especially if you pick up a lot, either a mixed lot with DEs or a lot of SEs. Or check around at some flea markets and antique shops. Just make sure to get aleast one 1912. Go ahead, you know you want to, go ahead, we won't tell! :D

Attached Files:

15. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Alright, I just ordered this gold GEM. Now, what are some good single edge razor blades I could buy?

Attached Files:

16. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You're going to get a plethora of answers here, but I like the Treet blades, which are available locally for me at Rite Aid. Hmm, and while you're at it, pick up some Real shaving cream there, too!

17. Tommy_C

Tommy_C New Member

Is Real a brand? I'm confused.

As far as the SE blades go, they aren't as easy to find as DE blades. And they seem to be much more expensive. Hopefully they will last longer. It also seems that many of the SE blades are carbon, rather than stainless steel. I guess I'll have to dip the razor in alcohol, after the shave, to prevent any rust building up.

So there is one vote for the Treet. Are there any other recommendations? Are the GEM blades any good? What about SE blades that advertise they are for scientific use? Does that mean they are sharper, or duller than a blade for shaving? Or are they just the same?

A lot of questions, I know.

Thanks,

Tom

18. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Let us know how you like the Gem and the slant if you pursue. I had both and got rid of. Wish I held onto slant but needed $$$$. The gem....never gave it a chance and used crap blades. the slant is not scary as others noted as well. 3 passes at the most. I normally do 4 with my SS or techs. I will probably get another one but no time soon. I get BBS with my current razors so might stick with these. Its more of a novelty for me. At first...it seems like you always strive to get to the next plateau and you realize at some point that you have reached it. Enjoy it!

19. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Tommy, I have been using blades that I picked up at Walgreens, they are marked GEM on one side and STAINLESS on the other side. I am told that they are re-branded Ted Pella's. I have also picked up a pack of Gem Blue Stars at a local store here called Fred Meyer, they are Kroger back in the east. I have not tried one as of yet. A member of another forum sent me a few Ted Pella blades, they are marked the same as the ones I got from Walgreens. The Walgreens blades and the Pellas, both shave very much alike, no surprise there. If you check the 'net you can find the Pellas, IIRC the number that most use is 121-3. Just make sure they are the PTFE coated blades. You just have to purchase them in quantity, I would try them before committing to a purchase. Unfortunately I am using the last one now or I would send you some. The Treets, I have not tried yet. Most blades are made by ASR-American Safety Razor, for private label sales, so it makes it difficult to say with any confidence, buy your blades here and you will be good. As it depends on which blades the store orders from ASR. :(

20. superbleu

superbleu Active Member