How Many Shaves Per Blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Monty Smith, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Merkur Malloy

Merkur Malloy Member

2-4, broheim

2. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Depends

It depends on the razor and blade. I don't have a lot of luck with the Voskhods in my adjustables but I did palm strop it and it was still sharp, but not smooth. Feathers I can palm strop and get like 8 shaves. So far I have just started with the SE so I can't tell what I can get from those.

3. aubug

aubug Member

I get 7 days on most blades. Shave equals lathering twice

4. Griff76

Griff76 Member

When I get bored of the blade, the 7 o'clock yellows though are my new favs, but I need to get through my sambler pack :)

5. mandoman

mandoman Member

4-5 shaves good shaves

6. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

Actually got five shaves out of a Dollar General, with hand stropping. Have to admit the fifth shave was a tad uncomfortable and the shave wasn't exactly the closest. I think maybe I'll do just three or four from now on. Five is the max on either a DE or SE blade, and that includes hand stropping, removing the blade after each shave, drying it off, and storing it in an airtight container. However, I only shave only 2-3 times a week so one blade can last me up to one and a half to two weeks.

7. DelanoS

DelanoS New Member

I have no trouble getting 6-7 days out of my blades after that I retire them as my beard is kind of tough and I don't want to push it too much. I also pat my blades dry. I do not rub it as sometimes it catches the paper towel and cuts through and sometimes into my finger so I pat dry. I also keep it in the razor during the drying process. Then I have a pair of tweezers that use to dip it in mineral oil. This seems to help keep it from rusting before it's time. I understand they sell a commercially available oil just for that but I have no idea what kind of oil they us. I use mineral oil on my cutting boards and when sharpening my kitchen knifes. If there is a better oil to use for coating the blade let me know1

8. Dipesh

Dipesh Member

3 normally for me. 4 at a push but normally the 4th shave I get nicks.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Are you using vintage blades?
    I have yet to have a modern blade rust on me. I hand strop all my blades after every shave. I've had them sit in a razor for up to a month with no problems - DE, SE and injector blades alike. How long does it take for rust to develop? Could it have to do with the hardness of the water in your area? Is it the hand stropping that prevents rusting? It boggles me that people are getting rust on modern blades.

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

I use my blades three to four days.