How many shaves per SE blade?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I know that with DE blades the average number of shaves/blade is about 3-4 (sure some throw them after 1-2 shaves and some after 5-7... but 3-4 seems to be the average).

a) Is it the same for SE blades or do they last longer - meaningmore shaves/blade?, and
    b) Is there a difference, corrosion aside, between number of shave/blade between SS and carbon blades?

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

As with DE blades, your number of shaves with an SE is YMMV. But, the general rule seems to be more shaves with an SE than a DE. For me, carbon blades don't last as long, but some guys like to strop them to bring back some life. Again, YMMV.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Ah I thought maybe it would be something significant like 'on average 8-10 for SE blades' vs the '3-4 for DE'.
    Guess I'll just have to see and order future blades accordingly.

4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I get 8 shaves on a stainless GEM blade. 1 shave on a carbon Treet. I could get 2 but the shave isnt as good so I just toss them. Still $0.12 a shave in blades.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Wilkerson Sword DE 2 maybe 3 Shaves.
    Schick Extreme 3 Disposable razors, luck to get one if it doesn't get clogged up.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Eight 3-pass shaves.
    I only use an SE on Sundays so one blade lasts me two months!

7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I usually get 6-8 shaves out of the GEM PTFE coated single edge blades from Ted Pella. I get 4-6 shaves out of the GEM Blue Star single edge blades that I can get from the local mom and pop pharmacy. YMMV

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Although I can get more, I limit my shaves to seven now because they are relatively cheap. With a good prep and a soft beard, the blade doesn't work as hard and lasts longer. Whether it is a Gem or a Schick, I regularly get seven shaves.

9. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

I keep the at least four 3-pass shaves.