How Much of a "Cushion" of Lather Do You Leave on Your Razor Before Rinsing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mark_s, May 1, 2012.

1. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I understand the concept of "a few strokes, lather builds up on blade, rinse off", but over time, I have found that I rinse the razor/blade less than I did originally. That "snow plow" effect with a significant amount of built-up soap/cream, really seems to provide a far more comfortable shave, with no real reduction in cutting efficiency (that I've noticed). I'll often shave from my sideburn down to my neck, moving from there, to maybe midway across my cheek, before rinsing. Any other opinions/thoughts on this?

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Normally I like to keep the head of the razor fairly clean..rinsing frequently as I go, but if I understand correctly, you've presented an interesting new hypothesis. I'll have to check out your idea on the next shave. Maybe allowing the lather to build up a little could make for better cushioning etc..hmmm..I have my doubts but I'll get back to you on that...

3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

I try only to lather one side of my face and when done there move it off the razor to the other side of my face. :)-) use only 1/2 the soap that way!:)-)

mark_s likes this.
  4. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I'm looking forward to your conclusion. I imagine the results would vary based on blade sharpness, but with a new blade, I really think the snow plow effect is a good thing.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For me it depends on the razor. Some milder razors (Weishi and Tech) tend to clog up fairly easily, so I rinse every 3-4 strokes. Razors that don't clog (which for me is a majority of razors) I just rinse often enough to keep a big blob of used lather from falling off.

6. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

LOL! Why not! Squeegee the lather down one side, across your neck, and onto the other side! Brilliant! ;)

johnus likes this.
  7. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

That's a good point. I use a Merkur 180 most every day, and my comments refer to that razor. With the Feather, I'm quite sure I'd be experiencing clogging (and I don't mean a dance in wooden shoes).

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

When I use a straight I wipe the blade when I'm finished with half my face and half of the neck, wipe the blade and do the other half. Cart or DE I usually rinse every stroke, as it's annoying when a lather glob falls and hits me in the chest.

9. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Yes, there's a delicate balance of cushion effect vs blob weight. Actually, it might be more blob density, as a thinner blob is more likely to fall. Didn't Isaac Newton have something to do with the falling blob theory? :)

Williams Warrior likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I refuse to over-think my shave.

But that's me.

Queen of Blades and Slipperyjoe like this.
  11. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

If I have to start over thinking my shave then it will become a chore to endure each morning.

much better to not ovr-think shaving ( i.e. KISS)

12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Just tried to try out your idea Mark..there does seem to be a fine line between making refinements and overthinking and well..think I'll keep on rinsing the head as usual..:cool:

mark_s likes this.
  13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

:signs011:

14. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I'd like to think of it as more of an observation, than over-thinking. But, I could be over-thinking it. :D

Slipperyjoe likes this.