How To: Clean a DE Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by qhsdoitall, Feb 15, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I know a couple of threads have mentioned ways to clean your DE razor either when you first get it or when it starts to look dull and scummy from soap build up and such. This is a place to post your personal DE razor cleaning routine.

2. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

For cleaning...I just use ordinary washing up liquid and a tooth brush. Works a treat!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

After each shave a hot water rinse and scrub with an old toothbrush.
    When I change blades....
    Maas polish with the old toothbrush followed by
    SoftScrub w/ bleach on the whole razor.
    ...shiny clean and sterliized !!

4. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I usually don't have problem with build up on mine. Usually just rinsing it well between uses is all I have to do. Ocassionaly a old tooth brush on the inner parts, but that's about it.

5. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

If there is a soap build up on them, I use an old tooth brush and some Scrubbing Bubbles. Cleans them up nice.

Paul

mylesc1234 likes this.
  6. BrianM

BrianM New Member

Cleaning ebay razors

1. Scrubbing Bubbles for scum
    2. 30 minute boil in plain water for internal scum (and critters)
    3. Barbicide per instructions on bottle for critters
    4. Shine with Maas and/or Brasso
    5. Mineral oil soak to lube up internals
    6. Rinse in hot water to get the mineral oil off the outside
    7. Enjoy!

I bought a separate pot for boiling razors -- I just don't want to cook in something I used for this!

I had $20 - $30 in cleaning materials.

BE CAREFUL -- sometimes ebay razors have a blade still in them!

mylesc1234 likes this.
  7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Good suggestions. I have gallons of Nolvasan and Tek-Trol that will kill any critter that we use for the horses. I think I have the scrubbing bubbles and brasso or similar.

8. Gatorade

Gatorade New Member

This is what I usually post when the question comes up.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

My DEs get cleaned once in a week with an old toothbrush and toothpaste, works great.

10. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Every time I change the blade I just wipe off any residue with a towel...Once in a while I will hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles.

11. Ronnie

Ronnie New Member

A good cleaner is also any glass cleaner with ammonia in it.You have it for cleaning the mirror so remove the blade out at change time spray with generous amount of cleaner and let it sit. Then rinse in hot water and dry off,sparkeling results.

Ronnie

Heinri likes this.
  12. _JP_

_JP_ Searching for a Forum title

I simply drop them into an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with plain water. Run, rinse, repeat as needed.

13. Will

Will Nevermind

When I first get them I boil them for 10 min then use a toothbrush with toothpaste (yes toothpaste) and clean it off.

Then just hot soapy water and a toothbrush when it starts to get crummy.

14. navy_shave

navy_shave New Member

Once a week I scrub them with an old toothbrush and soap. I boil the razors once a month, then a mineral oil bath for about an hour. I don't boil my Slim Adjustable or the Gillette bakelite travel razor, though.

15. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

When I change the blade, I go over the razor with a toothbrush. About every other month or so I soak it in a coffee cup (used for that purpose) with hot water and Dawn dish liquid for about an hour. Then give it an alcohol bath followed by a soak in baby oil.
    That is also the first thing I do with a used razor, except I may soak it or them for several hours, then scrub them with a toothbrush. Then I boil, scrub, polish, soak in 70% alcohol and lubricate with baby oil.

16. riffin

riffin Active Member

Me too. I break down the razor as far as possible. In addition to an old toothbrush, I got some pipe cleaning type brushes. I found them at the baby store. They're made by Dr. Brown for cleaning their burp-free baby bottles (they have a long straw down the middle). Plastic bristles in a thin twisted wire handle. The brush part is a 1.5 in long, the whole thing 6-7 in long.

This brush is perfect for cleaning the insides of a 3-piece razor and for getting into tight spaces of any razor. They come 3-4 in a package for about $5. I've using the first one for about 6 months now...

17. barbarosa

barbarosa New Member

You can also use an ultrasonic cleaner. However, they are expensive and the cheap ones work ... well they don't work.

18. I tried a soap called Octagon and a toothbrush. It seemed to work just fine.

19. Fido

Fido Member

Any reason why I should not put my Merkur 38C in the dishwasher?

20. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

I operate under the K.I.S.S. principal. Every Sunday afternoon I put them in the sink a few at a time spray with scrubbing bubbles, let sit for a while, take a tooth brush to them, rinse with hot water, dry off and secure. Once a month or so I'll give them the Never Dull treatment.

And no, I don't think putting a razor in the dishwasher would be a big problem.