how to get the best results in WTG shaving ?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by idan, Apr 20, 2017.

1. idan

idan Active Member

hello to everyone :)
    I always shave only WTG (With The Grain) pass, because the other passes (xtg,atg) makes me a lot of irritation.
    What the method\technique to get the best results in WTG shaving?
    now i using in aggressive razor and aggressive blade: Muhle R41+Feather , and Gillette Slim Adjustable settings 9 with Feather Blade.
    my shaving cream is: Nivea Original Shaving cream (Blue box).

Thank you very much....

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Skin stretching will allow you to get a little more closeness out of your passes. This video illustrates good skin stretching technique, even though he is using a straight razor:

SpeedyPC and Terry Williams like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1 on the skin stretching. I'm assuming that in the two razors mentioned the Feather blade is the one that you've found to be the best out of the available blades. As for the Slim, maybe dialing back from "9" to a lower number until the irritation goes away? Good luck!

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm no help, the Mighty R41 and a Feather blade scream irritation on my face.
    Happy shaving!!
    K

BayouFlyFisher likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

With low attack angles and little pressure, all directions are possible.

jsw41, FranklinFurter and swarden43 like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Riding the cap would tame it!

swarden43 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The best way is working on your technique. Find the proper angle, and avoid pressure / scraping. You might want to experiment with diagonal strokes as well.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I agree that you need to work on technique. Maybe back off the aggressive until you learn better technique. An aggressive razor does not always mean a better shave. You would probably get better shaves from a milder combo that you could get an across the grain pass with. As suggested above check out how to "ride the cap" as they call it here. The Nivea is a can goop? Some find switching to a soap or cream with a brush helps irritation also.

9. FranklinFurter

FranklinFurter Well-Known Member

The Gillette Slim Adjustable is a mild razor at its lower settings. At a setting of 2-3, when paired with a sharp blade, it is capable of providing a smooth and bbs shave. Try using a lower setting on the Slim and a shallower angle of attack, one with the edge of the cap close to or touching the skin, which will avoid scrapping and resulting irritation. Keep in mind that the cap is specifically designed to glide along the skin. I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  10. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I used my Slim set on "3" for years, but Feather blades are a bit much for me (sensitive skin). I favor the Teflon-coated blades for their smoothness.

11. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Cold water shaving has been a revelation for me when it comes to reducing irritation! Used a feather for the first time today and it may be the blade I've been looking for. Although I've still got to get better with my technique.