How to identify NOS Tallow GFT soaps?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Dr. Mike, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Locally I found some GFT Rose soaps in bowls that were in faded boxes that listed among their ingredients "shave soap base." Next to them were newer looking pink boxes that had a detailed listing of ingredients, which were clearly the new, tallowless reformulation.

Does anybody have any insight here? Are these older looking ones the older tallow-based soaps? I couldn't find any more detailed description of the ingredients. If somebody has the older tallow formulation, can you comment on this? They were very pricey ($45 or $48 each), so I knew I could find them online cheaper. But if they are tallow, they might be worth picking up.

2. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

The one with the cow inside

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3. burningdarkness

burningdarkness Woot Off

This is an indication that the shave soap does indeed contain tallow, Mike.

4. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Yep the "shave soap base" means it's the old tallow version.

Was this at the C.O. Bigelow's in the Polaris mall? I could have sworn the last time I was in there (over the holidays) they were out of the tallow version. That's where I got my Trumper's Rose soap in bowl... for $45. :eek:

5. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

There isn't one at Polaris - it is at Easton. And yes, that is where they are.

6. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

is it significantly better than the new stuff that I have? I'd also be willing to pick some up and mail at cost to anyone who might want some. I think there were 4 - not sure if they had the other scents in tallow.

7. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

My bad -- Easton it is. I may have to head there again soon. :D

8. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Too bad they didnt have Sandalwood or Coconut:( Dont need it but it would be nice! Mike....did you sniff it? still smell good?

9. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

the soap itself was still sealed in plastic, so I think it should still smell pretty good. I'll have to see if they have the others in tallow. $45 may be too rich for my blood, but if anyone is interested, I could pick one up for you.

10. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

Yeah,
    Thats a bit high.....I got he AOS coming anyways.

11. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

So Jason, does the tallow stuff perform better than the new stuff? Honestly, I get great shaves with the new GFT Rose soap I have. If it is a lot better, I might have to pick up one. If not, I would just be indulging in yet another thing that is not available anymore!

If people want some, shoot me a PM. We can arrange something. It would be in order of whoever contacted me first, but I would ask that you only speak up if you really want it, so I'm not buying tons of stuff and having anybody backing out. The price, before tax, was $45. I wouldn't ask for payment until I bought it and had it ready to ship. Payment would be paypal only.

12. Baloosh

Baloosh Duder

Mike, I don't know about the performance of the old tallow- vs. new Palm-based Trumper's soaps, as I've only used the Rose soap in the old tallow formula. Gordon over at SMF has tried both numerous times I guess, and he says that although the tallow (to him) does perform slightly better, the difference is very small in comparison. Basically I bought the tallow version, despite its $45 price, just so I could say I tried the old tallow formula.

If you're already getting great shaves with the new version of the Rose soap, I don't think it would be worth $45... at least to me.