How to load the Schick Type A (PIC HEAVY)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Weeper Warrior, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I bought a couple of the early Schick and couldn't find any information on how to operate or reload them at all. I decided to make this thread to let others who might have the same issues I did with how it works. Hopefully it will be of interest to others as well.

First the Type A:

Taking out the old magazine. The knurled bottom cover will unscrews counter-clockwise. Inside you will see the end of the spring that hold the blades and magazine in place.

IMG_20140404_143315_712 (Copy).jpg

To remove the spring and magazine push down to unlock the spring. You will hear a click when it is down far enough and ready to pull out.

IMG_20140404_143400_119 (Copy).jpg

The magazine should come out with the spring. You should see these parts. (If this is the first time you are taking it apart blades may come out as well, be careful) Notice that the magazine has 'REAR' stamped on the back. This is to help prevent installing it backwards.

IMG_20140404_143516_805 (Copy).jpg

The proper way to load new blades into the old magazine. Is to make sure the edge is left of the rear or on the side that has no lip. (pictured below.) I think it can hold up to 20 blades.

IMG_20140404_143647_673 (Copy).jpg

Reinsert the magazine in fully as pictured below. If you try and put it in upside down the blades fall out inside and cause it to jam.

IMG_20140404_143749_617 (Copy).jpg

Continued next post.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. Weeper Warrior

Reinsert the spring in the slot above the magazine. You will have to pinch the spring together for it to go in at first then it should slide easily. Notice the larger bump on on the top of the spring. It is what locks the spring in place.

IMG_20140404_143817_177 (Copy).jpg

When the spring is all the way in sometimes you will have to push up to get it to lock. If it looks like the picture below it needs to be pushed up.

IMG_20140404_143909_447 (Copy).jpg

It should look like this when correctly seated in place.

IMG_20140404_143930_804 (Copy).jpg

Screw the cap back on carefully! (For some reason mine always wants to cross thread. When I try to put it back on.) Pretty much ready to shave now, just pull back the bottom of the until it stops, then put it back with a quick motion, and the blade is loaded.

IMG_20140404_143005_631 (Copy).jpg

Billyfergie and alpla444 like this.
  3. Weeper Warrior

After the new blade is loaded make sure you check the blade gap to see if the blade is fully seated. If the blade seems uneven use your thumbnails to push the blade back evenly. Turn the head and you're ready for a great Shave! :)

IMG_20140404_144004_942 (Copy).jpg

Sorry for the crappy pictures best I can do. Hope this is at least interesting to somebody else.

I decided to do the Type B in another thread as this one got longer than expected.

4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

That was a fantastic detailed review Sir....Pictures are great...Couldn't be better....:chores016:

Billy

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  5. Weeper Warrior

Thanks! I never got around to doing the Type B thread. Considering you're the only response to the thread and it's over a year old, I guess nobody missed it.:cool:

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I don't know how I missed this one. Nice job. I would love to have one of those.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Great job! Thanks!

Billyfergie and Weeper Warrior like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

That's because I wasn't here a year ago. Nicely done!

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Oh, so it's your fault then. ;)

10. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I would have bought my B1 sooner had I seen this great thread. I bought mine from a guy that had a video in his listing. The video sold it!

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Weeper Warrior

Guess I should do the Type B thread .:signs131:

mrchick, richgem and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Billyfergie

Yeah looks like it Sir......:wave:

Billy....:chores016:

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Great post and for me very timely as my "A" should be arriving middle of this week.
    Here's also a video I found showing the loading:

And here's Razor Emporium showing off all the various repeating models:

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I think I already did that.
    Edit: Nope, it was @IAmTheJody
    Click on the the little "^" next to Jody's name in the quote to view the original post with pictures.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  15. Weeper Warrior

That's Awesome! Even shows proper blade angle.

16. Weeper Warrior

After reading that.....I would add that if you have a razor the has old blades still in the magazine. You need to eject the old blades through the head or the back aluminum piece that holds the spring is hard to get out. You could damage the razor trying to force it out with blades in there.

Darkbulb and mrchick like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Another thanks for posting this. Absolutely love my new A.[​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BeShaved and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Billyfergie

The Only thing to Watch with All these Repeaters is that Current Injector Blades are Thinner than the Original Ones..They Will Work in the Self Loading Mechanism Fine..Then One Day Out the Blue they Can Jam the Whole Mechanism Solid & Maybe Even Destroy it..I Always Loaded them By Hand.:)

Billy..:chores016:

jmudrick and Robyflexx like this.
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor