Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Went with a 1/1 ratio of olive oil and castor oil. I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between mine and AOS!
    Thanks Sara.

Omelmad and Sara-s like this.
  2. Tjebbe

Tjebbe Well-Known Member

Wow, finally mixed some castoroil instead of the babyoil in the preshave!
    Thanks, what a difference!

So now the mix consists of equal parts oliveoil and castoroil, few drops of teatree, I love it!

3. Schwank

Schwank Member

I love this stuf, but dont use Cinnamon ESS lol... OUCH

4. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

Thanks Sara. I love DIY stuff. Plan on giving this a try.

Sara-s likes this.
  5. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Active Member

I'm looking forward to going to the drug store to pick up some castor oil and put some of this stuff together for my next shave!

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I went to several drug stores looking for castor oil—most stores were clueless as to what it was or even if they stocked it. Two chains didnt, but the 3rd did.
    It was stocked in the 'Digestive Aids' section (laxatives & the like)
    Good luck!

7. Tuffy

Tuffy Member

I found castor oil at CVS, in the children's medicine section. Was able to create this pre-shave oil over the weekend and used it this morning. Very nice. Thanks to Sara again for the recipe.

8. swarden43

CVS is where I found mine.

9. Nikhil Naidu

Nikhil Naidu Member

My grandpa used to use a recipe of 2 parts coconut oil 1 part castor oil and a pinch of turmeric powder and a drop of neem oil. The turmeric powder is a
    Traditional indian remedy for cuts and nicks. The neem oil is one of the best anti bacterial, fungal etc.

I am planning to whip up a batch of this for myself.

10. SKrotee

SKrotee Member

I'm looking to make my first pre-shave oil. What works best for you? Where can I buy the ingredients and for how much? Thanks!!

ob1page likes this.
  11. swarden43

It's all right here in this tutorial ---> *click*

ob1page and Sara-s like this.
  12. Lucky Gagin

Lucky Gagin Member

I never used (or thought to use) a pre-shave oil before, but decided to whip up some lavender oil thanks to this thread. Didn't seem to make a noticeable difference on the first pass, but the second lathering of soap went on much easier with the oil. Is this typical? I suppose it works better after some time to settle into the skin.

13. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I apply it (the PSO) fairly liberally—about a quarter-size pool in my palm—and rub it vigorously into the skin. It leaves a nice oily sheen. I, as you did, notice the effect a bit more on subsequent latherings. This could be attributable to the lubrication qualities of the soap integrating with the oil after the first pass. I'm only guessing. All I know is that I do detect a difference when using PSOs, and it seems more apparent after the initial pass.

14. SKrotee

SKrotee Member

Made a batch today with Lavender Essential Oil
    photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

15. Robert Tonnies

Robert Tonnies New Member

Wow. If I can get this to work this will be amazing.

I currently use the Sandalwood AOS preshave oil. Yes, it is very nice -- but it is REALLY expensive. I love the smell, but I would go for unscented if it meant I could make it myself for cheap.

Have about 1/4 of the AOS stuff, when that runs dry, I'm going to give this a shot.

Anyone have any idea how to make the Sandalwood smell of the AOS stuff?

-Robert

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

You would have to get some sandalwood essential oil.

17. Robert Tonnies

That seems so simple! ... I think someone has said this in this thread already, but can you believe the upsell on these products from AOS? My jar has lasted about a month; it's almost gone. A year's worth would cost hundreds. :happy096: for posting your recipes and ideas Sara.

Sara-s likes this.
  18. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Homemade PSO is really the way to go! I now enjoy mine more than the others that I have bought. I also go with the 50/50 Castor - EVO. I made a Sweet Orange, Lavender and Peppermint. Just recently made a Bergamot, Sweet Orange, which is awesome! Thanks for this thread!!! :happy088:

19. SKrotee

SKrotee Member

AoS has their ingredients posted on the website products. My huge jar only cost me $14 and I still have half of the ingredients left over to refill. So $7 a jar is quite worth it to make your own. Same quality product for a fraction of the price.

20. Robert Tonnies

I didn't realize they did this. So for their favorite scent of mine, this is the ingredients they list:

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Fragrance/Parfum, Water/Aqua, Coumarin, Hexyl Cinnamal, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone

Seems like there's a lot of stuff besides castor - evo and a scent. Hmm...