Tutorial How to make your own Pre-shave oil

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Sara-s, Dec 14, 2012.

1. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

These are mainly used as scents and scent enhancers as well...So, in essence, just more scents!

2. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Thanks Sara. I am getting ready to experiment with your 9:3:1 ratio using EV Olive Oil, Castor Oil, and Essential/Fragrance Oils.

This....

[​IMG]

Plus this..... should be interesting. I am starting out with .5 oz bottles.

[​IMG]

Omelmad likes this.
  3. secretum

secretum Active Member

made one too, mine with lemon scent. smells good, can't wait to try it :-D

4. ShorTea

ShorTea Member

I just made a batch, and my legs have never been this soft! It's wonderful!

Bobcat and Sara-s like this.
  5. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

0.25 TSP-ESS/FRAG OIL(about 20-25 drops)
    0.50 TSP-CASTOR OIL
    2.25 TSP-OLIVE OIL
    3.00 TSP=.5 OZ BOTTLE

Scents(drops):

10-TX Cedar, 5-Tea Tree, 10-Lavender

$1.50 cost including the dropper bottle($1.01). The pre-shave oil itself came about to about $0.50 for the .5 oz. The cost will increase with more expensive oils like sandalwood.

[​IMG]

Andrepartthree and ShorTea like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Still a mere 'drop in the bucket' compared to the cost of retail-brand PSO! :)

$15 & up for 1 fl oz puny little bottles....
    [​IMG]

Bobcat likes this.
  7. Robert Voss

Robert Voss Well-Known Member

has anyone tried coconut oil?

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Coconut oil is so highly saturated that at room temp I'd think it would be a fairly solid mass to smear on one's face.

9. Robert Tonnies

Robert Tonnies New Member

I like that fragrance set! Let us know which are the nicest in scent.

10. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

I started with just Aloe which was OK, but a bit boring scent wise. I now have: 1- TX Cedar, Lavender, & Tea Tree and 2-Frankincense, Peppermint, Tea Tree, Lavender, & Aloe. I am going to try just some Peppermint, Tea Tree & Lavender next.

11. Atalk

Atalk New Member

Sara - Thanks for this contribution. I am an avid AoS PSO user and, like many, I cringe at the thought of having to buy another bottle when mine runs out due to sky-high pricing. With that said, would anyone mind sharing their preferred EO scent ratios? Example: 4:1 (Lavender:peppermint)

12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

4:1 is fine for lavender & peppermint. 1:1works for fir needle & blue spruce.

13. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm acne prone so I use unrefined shea butter. It's harder to use but it is the only thing I can use. Some of the suggested oils like Olive and Grapeseed have low comedogenic properties but I can't go with low it has to be zero comedogenic or I get acne (Im 22).

14. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Ever heard of the Oil Cleansing Method?

15. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestion but yes I've used it a couple of years back with olive or grapeseed with castor. I must have not been doing it right because it broke me out even more. I've used tons of home remedies as well as OTC and prescription drugs but I find it has mostly disappeared on its own with age as long as I avoid certain triggers.

Here is a useful site listing comedogenic ratings: http://www.beneficialbotanicals.com/facts-figures/comedogenic-rating.html. Grapeseed is very low on their list but I personally find I am too sensitive for even that.

16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I have fresh peppermint and lemon balm growing around my house. Anyone have an idea how it might turn out if I mixed some EVO and castor oil, then let peppermint and lemon balm leaves steep in it for a few days, to let the natural oils infuse the oil?

17. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

I made my first batch of PSO a few days ago. I infused some peppermint and rosemary into some grapeseed oil. The peppermint grows wild around the pond and the rosemary from the garden. I filled a small sauce pan with a mix of rosemary and mint leaves, then poured heated oil over them. After pressing them hard with a potato masher let them steep for about 5 hrs. I like the finished product. The aroma is invigorating and tingles just a little. I do seem to get a more comfortable shave. I feel like it could benefit from a small amount of a thicker oil though. Any suggestions?

8 oz sweet almond oil
    2 oz EVOO
    2 oz filtered infused grapeseed oil
    10 drops Tea Tree oil

BamaT likes this.
  18. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Add a quarter cup of castor oil.

Robust Rob likes this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip about heating the oil first, I hadn't thought about that. Should have, since I occasionally make peppermint/lemon balm tea (great for relaxing, settling an upset stomach, and tension headache relief), and boiling the water brings out the natural oils. I'll try that this weekend. Can't wait to see how it turns out. The lemon balm and peppermint has a really nice scent. I'm wondering if the peppermint will have a menthol type effect.

20. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Thanks Sara-s, the castor oil did the trick. I added about 3 oz and a touch more tea tree oil.

Sara-s likes this.