How to prevent razor burn

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Omelmad, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Tattoobob and taffboy like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

As for the alcohol rubdown, I know lots of folks use it on their blades.
    I never have.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I must disagree with the advice to exfoliate your face with a face scrub prior to shaving. The razor will do the exfoliation, and plenty of it. Exfoliating prior to the shave, then exfoliating during the shave has led many to experience razor burn.

Weeper Warrior and Ceferguson like this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I agree that overdoing the pre-shave scrubbing can lead to the problem one is trying to avoid (i.e. razor burn or skin irritation). I do however like to use a 'pre-shave scrub' in the shower (this product ) and have had no problems. I suppose the use of a exfoliation product is useful dependent upon one's skin type, but it is certainly NOT essential for all shavers to avoid razor burn. Razor burn probably has more to do with poor technique with the razor than pre shave scrubbing.

5. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmmm.. I have not seen a difference yet. But the description that removing dead skin cells and removing dirt get you closer with the razor and also makes easier to lift the hairs and getting soap under the whiskers.

I don't know. Some of the advice was good =P

6. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Hmm, if you recommend the Shea Moisture product I may have to try it. I am almost out if my current face wash stuff, and I am always looking for something better.

As far as the OP, I would agree that if you are prone to razor burn, exfoliating prior to the shave would seem counterintuitive.

It is indeed time to shave.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I especially like the product when you can find it on sale at CVS or Target for sometimes up to 40% off....;)

Lexicon Devil and Omelmad like this.
  8. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

:cool:

9. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

I do a face scrub in the shower prior to shaving but I still get razor burn on the exact same place on both sides if my neck and not really anywhere else I am guessing razor burn is predominantly due to technique

10. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Use.
    Cold.
    Water.

Weeper Warrior, BigMark and Omelmad like this.
  11. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Methinks I am going to go back to the old CWS. Maybe it is just me but The Cool lather feels good and you seem to get a closer shave.