How to sharpen a Japanese straight razor

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Jep863, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Jep863

Jep863 New Member

Hello I am new to the world of straight razor shaving. I am wating for my first razor to arive. I'm getting a Japanese straight razor. I am having a hard time finding information on the proper way to hone and sharpen the razor. Dose the method differ from western blades ? I have heard that you don't have to strop japanese blades is that true? *I am a professional chef and I have several hand made top class knives that you can't buy any where in the USA. I have several natural and man made Japanese water stones. *So I have some experience with sharping. Thanks for the help

2. ccgnet

ccgnet New Member

It is definitely different. There are some good demos on the internet ffor Japanese straight sharpening. You Tube has a number of them.

3. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

I'd like to welcome you. You'll find that Japanese razor ( kamisori ) provides an even closer shave compared to western style razors. I've been shaving with them for several months now. I actually acquired one of my Iwasaki's from my buddy JimR.

Check out the translation with regards to honing.

http://www.shaveready.com/showthread.php?t=308

Simply put:
    Ura ( back/stamped side ) should have less ratio with regards to honing. This is concave side.

Omote ( front/non-stamped ) should have more work
    This is convex side.

Tosuke in general is given for instance is 3:1 ratio

In the video Jim does 10:1 ratio. There isn't wrong or right answer so long as you do majority of the work on the omote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zb_rGMWx3c

4. Jep863

Jep863 New Member

Thank you for your input. What about stroping I know when it comes to Japanese knifes we don't use strops or steels. What about with razors. I will begetting an Iwasaki razor and I cannot wate.

5. SiR-ed8

SiR-ed8 New Member

Sorry neglected to mention that. Strop it like a western razor mate.

6. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    First Forget everything that you have learned in the past about sharpening knives... The only thing the two have in common is Steel n Stone...
    The ratio is dependent on your stroke, it really is feel here even more so then western straights...

But in general Sir-ed8 told you right, anywhere from 3:1 to 10:1 might work...
    IME Japanese razors seem to like the higher grits much faster than Western straights...

7. Sirshavesalot

Sirshavesalot New Member

I'm not sold on that, a BBS is a BBS wether had by a Japanese Straight or a Western one. It's ultimately six and half dozen of the other.

Cheers
    David