How to tame a feather?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Pokerstar, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Pokerstar

Pokerstar New Member

Hi all, I just tried a Feather blade, both in my Tuckaway and my 1949 Superspeed. I'm having trouble taming it, as it is REALLY sharp, and I am nicking myself pretty badly.

I've tried a few different creams, and used 2 different types of preshave oils. I always made sure the creams were really slick, too. I used no pressure.

Any advice? I previously used Crystals, Dorco ST301's and WalMart Personnas with virtually no problems.

Thanks

:confused:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    It's possible you got a bad blade.

Got a cork? Some people find "corking" (running the blade across a cork) helps smooth out the blade's roughness.

Someone else can explain it better than I can, as I've never done it, nor felt the need to.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

BAD JOANNA!!!!

Never cork a blade. If it doesnt work for you right out of the box, you shoudlnt be using that blade. Some people like feathers and some dont. Personally I dont and dont like the way they shave. There are other sharp blades out there that arent as unweildy.

4. Queen of Blades

Hey, someone was gonna mention it. Eventually.
    He should at least try a second Feather before deciding they aren't for him. Any brand blade can have a bum blade in the bunch. I don't care to figure the odds on it being the very first one he tries, but it can happen.

5. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Need to cork your Feather?

Buy Derby instead :happy102

Seriously, if you are cutting yourself I would 1. try another blade and make sure you're not using a bad one... it happens. Or 2. just accept that Feathers might not be for you.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

He should try a different one, but he shouldnt cork them :D

7. If you have to cork a blade, it's not the right blade for you.

Regards,

Paul

8. Queen of Blades

Making fun of something others do, isn't right. Poking a little fun at someone, for example Michael for using a Mach3, is one thing. Michael knows we are just teasing him, regardless of what he posts after reading this. :p

This hobby is about finding what works for you. Some people LOVE day 2, 3, 4, whatever with a Feather, but hate day 1. I've read enough to know they think corking saves them from the bad experience of day 1, and gets them to the better days. Good for them! They've found what works for them.

9. Some blades require a slightly different shaving angle. Definitely worth trying at least 2 or 3 blades of a brand before you right it off. The possiblility of a bad blade is very, very slim.

Anyway most of the wine bottles is see have plastic corks, where are you guys getting all these corks from? :D

Regards,

Paul

10. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Correct

yep correct again

and once again correct

Raf

11. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

:rolleyes:

12. Queen of Blades

Yeah, I saw the smart aleck comment coming a mile away. :p

13. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Myself, I wouldn't use Feathers again, because I made carnage from my face the last time. However, I have heard that a Weishi razor takes a lot of the aggressiveness out of them.

14. No sign of the parcel yet Jeff, they must have actually put it on a ship.

Regards,

Paul

15. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I feel terrible, Paul, for this. These post offices make me sick every time I send stuff to the US as well. A friend of mine in New York got a package from me after it was sent by airmail, and it took 3 weeks. There were only some Florena tubes in it, and a couple of packs of blades, no contraband. My friend, please be a little more patient. :o

16. Not to worry my friend, I am interested to see how long it will take. The only items I have ever sent surface took twice as long as airmail. Royal Mail estimate for surface to Canada is from 56 days so it will probably take a couple more weeks.

Anyone else have experience of surface mail? If so how long did it take?

Regards,

Paul

17. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Well, sort of...

Attached Files:

18. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

Different razors prefer different blades.
    For "Me" Feathers work great in adjustable razors and mild razors like Techs.
    They don't work for me in my Aristocrat or Milord which prefer Derbys or IPs.
    This why I keep on hand 4 brands of blades in my hoard.
    Feathers, Derby, Israeli and Greek Bics.

19. ktulu64

ktulu64 New Member

A Feather in a Fat Boy set to 3 is perfect for me - obviously YMMV. However, the Tuckaway and SS might be too agressive for the super sharp Feather.
    I suppose everyone has their own opinion on the perfect blade, but if you find the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th shave are great but the first shave is a little rough, what would/could be so wrong about corking a blade? I assume that the corking is simply removing a remnant of the wire edge created by the grinding and honing process. If it is the best shave you can get, that is the only thing that matters (to me). Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I love Feathers and get a great shave right out of the package. Of course, I also like Polsilver, Iridium, UK Wilkinson and Swedes.

20. Hi Jay,
    How to say this delicately......heh. I have no problem with corking blades, although I don't need to do that. I've read the same thing you typed many times......shouldn't use a blade if they need corking. If that's what it takes to improve a first shave with a favorite blade, then it's helping.

The crazy thing is that it works! Yeah, it sure does.........read some posts on corking, here and other forums. Didn't work for everyone, but even some very skeptical and seasoned members found it made a positive difference. Hehe, you can imagine there was some healthy distain for the process at first.

Pretty interesting thoughts about WHY it helps, but I won't get into that.

Martin