How to use both blades?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Admiral Beez, May 9, 2013.

1. Admiral Beez

Admiral Beez Active Member

How do you make sure to use both blades? I try to rotate on each pass, but lose track.

2. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

You mean both sides of the blade?

The way I do it is this: use one side until it is too full of lather to continue; flip the razor and use the other side until it is full of lather. Rinse. Repeat.

This insures that both sides get used almost exactly equally, and you don't have to think about it at all.

otherstar, tuxxdk, ohpaos and 7 others like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While I don't feel "equally/perfectly" using both sides of the razor is that critical. I basically follow the same pattern as "kingfisher". If you want to carry it further at the end of your shave flip the blade over in the blade pan, so that your now using the top side of the blade for your next shave. :)

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

One side left face, other side right face.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Another here like kingfisher.

It's just shaving. Don't over-think it.

Shaver X and BigT like this.
  6. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I forget sometimes as I'm still used to swipe, rinse; completely forgetting to turn the razor around. Usually one side gets ignored till i move to the other side of my face though. Too much conscious effort to turn each time for me lol

youngunn likes this.
  7. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

+1

8. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

:signs011:

9. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Same here I fill up the one side but rinse it then flip over. Rinse and repeat :p

10. tommyboy923

tommyboy923 Member

I use a blade for four shaves. I use one side of the blide for two complete shaves, then the other side for two more shaves.

11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

The idea of the Double Edge was on of the selling features that Gillette pushed. Something like 10 blades, 20 shaving edges. Not sure that it was ever anything more than hype.
    When the Gillette '04 came out the idea of the "3 min shave" was born by Gillette in his ads. Not sure that you can worry about what edge you're using and do a BBS shave in 3mins.!
    Enjoy your shave no matter how many mins it takes and at the price of most of today's blades change them with every shave. The King would smile if you did!

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

For me it's the Kingfisher way. Mostly. But then I sometimes forget and rinse after one side. I don't think too much of it. I just go on shaving. :)

tuxxdk likes this.
  13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

In reality, is anyone here able to detect if one edge of the blade has four or five more swipes on it than the other side?

14. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

I rinse my razor pretty often so don't use Kingfisher way. For me, I shave the right side of my face first, then flip the razor for the left side. So for a 3 pass shave I start with one side and I flip 5 times.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I just go with it. I rinse the razor pretty often, so I don't keep track.