How's your day? October 2017

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by swarden43, Oct 1, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

2. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

It's a sad day here in Canada. Last night one of our most beloved icons passed away, Gord Downie, singer of The Tragically Hip.

He died from an aggressive brain cancer that came on a few years ago.

RIP Gord! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

jtspartan and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

4. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I took my daughter to an appointment at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia' Berger Center. This is a pretty new building, only opened about a year or so ago. One of the things about the building that has amused me is the iconic signage for areas such as the rest rooms and vending machines. Basically, the men's room sign had icons for an adult man wearing a hat and tie and a boy wearing a baseball cap, while the ladies' room sign had a woman wearing a skirt and pearls and a little girl in (presumably) a dress. This is the usual filled-in shapes, except for the accessories. (Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a picture I took a few months back or a similar example on Google.) The thing that amused me about the signage was the traditional, binary sex roles portrayed; it was almost as though one was designing signage for time travelers from the 1950's.

Yesterday, however, my daughter noticed that some of the signs are different. Gone are the hat and baseball cap and the child icons are taller. (It is almost as though out time travelers have returned, but from the early 1960's instead.) What boggles my mind is that this seems to be a deliberate replacement of the signage. Was someone that offended by the hat and cap? I mean, this can't be a cheap replacement. Somebody had to pay for all new signs, removal of the old signs, repairs to the walls from removal of said signs, etc.

RaZorBurn123, AGHisBBS and RetLEO-07 like this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Someone probably got her nose out of joint and threatened to sue.

6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

... or pull a donation.

But over what? Hats on the male icons?

Despite variations on search terms, I haven't been able to find an example of these signs on Google. I'm almost wondering if it may be that they are unavailable and someone mandated consistent signage. I wish I still had the picture of one.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’m relaxing in my hotel in PA. I am here for a tournament tomorrow. The weather is mild, and I have had some time to explore, practice shooting and order some furniture.

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Heading out to Antietam National Battlefield tomorrow with my wife and another couple we always hang out with.
    Should be fun.

9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Good luck! Break a bow string (or whatever the appropriate thing is to say)

Sara-s likes this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I think “good luck” is just fine, though I need skill more than I need luck. In any case, thanks for the good thoughts.

AGHisBBS and richgem like this.
  11. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

There's an air show here in town this weekend and as I live near the airport, there have been planes buzzing around for the past couple of days. I was driving on the the highway next to the airport when I heard one of the loudest roars I have ever heard, and three Blue Angels blew directly over my truck at an altitude low enough I could have hit them with a rock. Of course by the time I threw it they would have been a mile away. A few hundred feet down the road they buzzed by in front of me still low enough that I was driving through jet exhaust. It's going to get crazy around here the next couple of days.

12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Here's a photo from the local papers website.
    IMG_1825.JPG

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm blessed. Every day is a new day, every day begins with a "I love you" to my wife.
    PTL

AGHisBBS, macaronus and swarden43 like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

Been about 10 years since I've seen the Angels perform. Another time we were coming back from Florida when the boys were small and just passing Andrews AFB on I-95. There must've been an air show 'cause the diamond came screaming over the interstate. It was awesome.

cmorris357 likes this.
  15. RetLEO-07

Pictures por favor!

macaronus and PickledNorthern like this.
  16. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Yeah. Not sure he really even went.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From Antietum Battlefield, site of the bloodiest single day battle in American military history.
    20171021_134334.jpg
    Above - the Sunken Road, aka Bloody Lane
    20171021_142745.jpg
    Burnside Bridge. The tree on the right on the opposite side of the bridge is the Witness Tree as it has been verified through photos to have been standing during the clash of Union and Confederate soldiers.
    20171021_150938.jpg
    A few of our Maine boys at National Cemetery of Boonsboro.

18. RetLEO-07

Great shots Steve! If you can find it, "The Landscape Turned Red" by Stephen W Sears is a great book about the battle.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I came home from Stockholm last Friday. Flying out to Vienna tonight. Right now thinking about the downside of my job; being away from home (and social life) for many weeks each year. I probably should start working on an exit plan ;-)

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I had a tournament yesterday- Good company and a decent performance. I shot 492/600. That’s not my best, but only a few points below it. I tend to miss a few shots; 3-5 is typical. Yesterday, I only missed 2, which is the best I’ve done. Today, it’s off to Bonsai club.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017