Huh?!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Steve C, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Shave Monkey likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Looks like it.

3. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Decent blades???

4. swarden43

No idea

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Even at the bargain price, I would not buy 200 of them to find out.

6. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Well I figure SOMEONE in here has tried em, and might have an opinion, but........

I get what you are saying.

However, that ain't like spending a fortune for the gamble.

7. swarden43

Tip - never buy any blade in bulk until you have tried 3 or 4 of the blades you are considering. Sample packs are the way to go. You can get tucks of blades (usually 5 to a tuck or pack, sometimes 10), try 'em all, then decide what to buy in bulk. Sample packs come with anywhere from 5 to 20 tucks, depending on how large a sample pack you want to spring for.

8. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I appreciate the advice.

At the risk of sounding argumentative, wouldn't it be fair to say that every single razor blade out there, will cut your beard?

9. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Yes, but some are harsh and uncomfortable. It's your decision to make, but having 200 blades I hate wouldn't help me with a relaxing, enjoyable shave.

178-bplatoon and BigMark83 like this.
  10. swarden43

True, but some do it more comfortably than others. What is strange is that different blades will perform differently in different razors. My hypothesis is that different blades are ground at different bevels, and different razors hold the blade at different angles. Thus one bevel will work better (read more comfortable) held at angle X than at angle Y from a different razor. Once technique is perfected, one learns how to make the adjustments necessary to use just about any blade in any razor. I'm there, but I still find blades I don't like. And I'm not about to drop $15 on one blade brand to experiment.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    So will a bread knife, but you wouldn't want to use it. I wouldn't waste the money on these advertised blades.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I never liked anything from Wilkinson Sword, not even their toothpicks.

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Those are the Gillette-made Wilkinson Swords from India. The price seems a little low, but those do tend to be one of the more inexpensive blades.

Personally, I've never used them but, on other forums, I've seen good write-ups on them.

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Zwhs.png If you don't like them. You can pass them off to your "friends."

CarlfromMO likes this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

If I had a question about a particular blade, I'd ask Neal @NCoxSTL.
    He's shaved with more brands than most folks have heard of, and may have info about the company that makes them.
    Ultimately results will depend on your beard, equipment, and technique.

jtspartan and NCoxSTL like this.
  16. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Again it should be mentioned, that everybody's beard is slightly different in texture. So "YMMV" is always the best caveat at this point.

17. swarden43

Which is why you shouldn't ask anyone to suggest a blade. You need to ask your face. If it tells you the blade tugs and pulls, or if it tells you it feels like fire, it is really telling you the blade isn't for you.

I wasn't suggesting it was a bad blade for you. I was suggesting you try a couple three before dropping the coin on a bulk order.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Eeyore, RetLEO-07, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Looking at the add on Amazon it says delivery Aug. 24 to Sept. Are they coming from Mars? Sure you can get in 3 days from somewhere else.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

19. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

I tried them while back, didn't liked them. I believe they are made in india

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The sharp ones will. There are brands that will not cut hot butter.

Once you have solid technique a blade is a blade. The differences in beard and such are not that big a deal. Some blades last longer then others but any sharp blade will work with any razor on any face. This is assuming solid technique and non defective equipment.

Eeyore, RetLEO-07 and dustmite like this.