I bought Rosewater...Now what?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by CyanideMetal, Jan 3, 2012.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

So I was at shoebox a day or so ago and ordered an Omega boar brush. While I'm there, I breeze thru the AS section and notice a bottle of Rosewater. I bought it. I have no idea why I bought it. Maybe it conjured up images of babies and unicorns. I don't know.

I actually had to Google "Rosewater" to find out what the heck it's used for. I did find a recipe for a face tonic (Rosewater + Witch Hazel + Glycerine), but, in general, need suggestions for how best to use it as it relates to shaving.

I'm not well, people. Somebody please stop me before I wake up one day and I'm selling Mary Kay.

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

:)-) your on a good start!! You now can smell like Mary Kay!! Sprinkle some on your car and see if it turns pink:)-)!
    Not sure what else I'd do with it. Think there's some way you can cook with it??

PatrickA51 and CyanideMetal like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have no idea about Rosewater specifically.
    I do have and like Thayer's Rose Petal & Aloe Witch Haze.
    I also have some TSD Wild Rose shaving soap that smells fantastic.
    From what I've read, rose was a popular scent amongst the British upper-crust in the way-back-when days. (and you know that every thing you read is 110% true, otherwise it wouldn't have been printed ;))
    I don't know. I like it, my wife likes it, I use it every now and then. I've never had anyone in public say anything about it. And if they did, who cares? I'm only out to please my wife.

4. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Think it is supposed to be healing.....in fact GFT Coral Skinfood contains it (I think!) I have a bottle of Boots Rosewater and Glycerine. I use it occasionally as an ASB. The smell does not linger for long

CyanideMetal likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

Thanks, guys. That helps me a lot!

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

You just splash it on your face, similar to how most of use witch hazel. It's supposed to be a good skin soother and helps with healing.

7. CyanideMetal

Thanks, Keith.

I was thinking about mixing a little with WH and giving it a shot.

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Your welcome. I was thinking about getting a bottle myself.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  9. madmedic

T

To be honest.....I wouldnt even bother with the witchazel!

10. rsquared

rsquared New Member

It also can be used as a beverage.. I have a bunch of Arabic friends who's family actually drink it.. I'm not a fan of the taste but some people are

11. CyanideMetal

I read that in Iran it's a staple of everyday life. Interesting.

12. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

CyanideMetal likes this.
  13. CyanideMetal

How come?

Thanks, Brad! I ran into this article after I realized I had no idea what I was doing.
    :happy102:

14. madmedic

Just a knee jerk comment. As I mentioned mine is a rosewater/glyerine product ....ready for use, and it smells much nicer than witchazel!

CyanideMetal likes this.
  15. CyanideMetal

Thanks, Brian. I'll use it by itself for sure. I'm looking forward to trying it for the scent alone. Doesn't sound like there would be any harm in trying at least.

Thanks again for your guidance.

16. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I find that using this straight as a toner works great for me. It soothes and moisturizers with absolutely no burn since it is alcohol free. The smell isn't too overpowering. I really like using it.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you don't like what the rosewater does to your face, you can always go the culinary route..

Rosewater Cardamom Lassi
    Ingredients:
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1 teaspoon rose water
    1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
    2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
    2 tablespoons coconut milk
    Ice cubes
    1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped
    -Blend all ingredients, except the nuts, in a blender. top with nuts.
    Do not apply it to your face post-shave.
    [​IMG]

18. CyanideMetal

Ultimately, I made my own post shave elixer of WH and Rose Water with a bit of Alcohol for that *zap*. Nice finish.

19. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

It can also be used as a body splash.

20. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Mix it with some cream or soap. Use it instead/with the water you use to make your lather.

I routinely mix lavender and rose creams, using plain water. Why not try it with rosewater instead?