I dont enjoy bowl lathering and soap pucks anymore...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Teiste, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Its sad for me but true,I dont like to make lather on the bowl anymore...It happened last week when I first try the new Semogue 1305 with Tabac;the shave was really good and the soap performed great(as always)but I didnt enjoy it as much as other times..I thought that maybe it was cuz I was tired and not in a good mood...Today I melted the cedarfurnitureman soap and my larger bowl and I was so happy but...the same again,shave was great but I didnt enjoy it as much as when I use the shaving sticks.Why?I dont know really,but I find more efficient to built the lather on the face than on a bowl,also Its more fun(at least for me)Have you experience the same than me?Am I going crazy?I should have melted the cedar soap on a stick container as MamaBear explains in one brilliant thread here.I dont know where to find those empty stick containers here in Spain but I will try to find them and make my shaving sticks.Also I would like to kindly ask to JoAnna,Irena and the other soap makers here about making shaving sticks with their soaps.I think that would be handy for many of us(as well as to save some money on shipping fees,specially for the ones that we dont live in the US)
    So as my signature says:shavesticks of the world;UNITE AND TAKE OVER!!!:D

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I used to. They didn't sell very well.

3. Teiste

Teiste New Member

oh,too sad to hear that!!:mad:Well,I guess that I will make my own shavesticks whith your soaps.Thanks!

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    You could try a Want To Buy ad in The Classifieds. :)

5. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm united with you, man! Probably for the last 6-8 weeks I've been doing nothing but face lathering. In fact, when I was cleaning up my bathroom today, I put my bowl and "scuttle" (dip chiller) away. I dug out my great-grandfather's mug which held my Institut Karite soap (which I haven't used much at all lately) and removed the soap to use the mug to soak the brush.

I had not built up a lather in a bowl in a very long time, but was only using sticks. Then a few weeks ago I decided to try face lathering creams again, and had great success (I credit the boar brush since the last time I tried it I had used a silvertip).

I feel I get a greater amount of feedback as to the quality of the lather, and the added time allows it to soften the stubble even more.

Now I just need to try to make my IK into a shave stick... :D

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

I have been using shaving sticks frequently as well. However, I still use dished soap frequently. Unfortunately, I have get reactions to Arko and Irisch Moos so I can't use those as often as I would like. I will be putting some of my dished soaps into stick form; however, I don't see p.160 working well in a stick. :eek:

7. APC

APC Member

I too have have put away the dip chiller and face lather whatever I am using on a particular day. The good thing about the dip chiller is it multitasks. It keeps the the dip cold, the gravy warm and I have used it steam veggies in the microwave. I almost forgot; the dip chiller saved me about $50.00 to $75.00.

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Mi hermano--I love shave sticks also, but there are many bowl soaps I love equally as well. Erasmic, De Vergulde Hand, Golddachs Spezial, Tabac, and Proraso Aloe & Green Tea are wonderful bowl soaps! ;)

9. Teiste

Teiste New Member

True bro,but for some reason I dont enjoy them anymore...:ashamed001 I hope to find some Tabac,Speick and Irisch Moos shaving sticks before I leave Europe.

10. omegapd

omegapd New Member

Use what you like. I've put away expensive soaps before because they didn't give me the protection or comfort I needed compared to a couple of inexpensive soaps. Maybe one day you'll get the urge to use them again. Other than the scent maybe disappearing, they won't go bad...:)

11. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Eric, I must to for sure agree with you. Not all expensive soaps are so good. DR Harris, or Trumpers soaps are to me just ok, but nothing great, and as far as the AOS soaps are concerned, I will not touch them again. The much cheaper Arko sticks, or Palmolive sticks, as 2 examples are much better for my skin, and give just as rich lather.

12. freddy88

freddy88 Member

I have come back from Europe with a bunch of sticks (La Toja, DVH, Erasmic [old formula], Boots, Palmolive) and cannot wait to try them. I have never used a stick before nor have I ever face lathered. After reading the comments in this thread, I cannot wait to give the sticks and face lathering a try.

I use a Shavemac silver tip badger brush but a Semogue 2000 should be waiting for me when I finally get home. (Thanks, Teiste :D) Which brush do you gentlemen recommend for sticks and face lathering, the badger or the boar? Keep in mind that the Semogue will be brand new and, from what I have read in another thread, will need break-in time. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

13. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I have a silvertip brush, too, and it works for face lathering. I think the boar works better, though. Try them out with your Shavemac and see how it goes. When the Semogue arrives (good choice, btw :happy088) I'd recommend using it on a few pucks of soap to help break it in. With my 1305, I barely got enough lather for 1 - 2 passes until it broke in. Now lather just explodes off the brush! I bet though, once your Semogue breaks in and you get adjusted to making great lather on your face, you'll notice your Shavemac getting used less and less....

When you go to work it on the puck, don't shake or squeeze the water out, just let it dribble out until it stops on it's own, then go to work on the puck. Trust me, all that extra water pays off, just be patient with it. :D

When I face lather, I do flick the brush to get a little more water out, just so it doesn't dribble down my face too much and get real sloppy. The great thing about face lathering is that you can watch the lather form as your working it around on your stubble - and the whole time it's doing its thing softening the stubble.

Haha...sorry, I started rambling off on a tangent...:rolleyes: So, yes, you can use your silvertip for face lathering and then switch to the Semogue once it arrives.

14. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Freddy,I think that Matt have told you everything you need to know when you first use the stick and the boar brush.Im agree with him,I will use the Semogue instead of the silvertip,but I know that youre gonna try both:D and this is how it should be before you set your mind.As I have said before on this thread,bowl lathering used to be fun but you can archive better results with facelathering.I feel my face more moisturize and soft after the shave,I bet is cuz I let the lather stay on my face for a longer time while lathering,I dont know,but I can feel and see the results.The same works for creams and I have been using La Toja SC and got great results with it.
    Hope youre well and keep us posted about the results.

15. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

Arko and Palmolive sticks give as good a lather as any other soap I have used - actually, in many cases, even better. The Palmolive stick is one of those "constants" in my shave drawer. I have really whittled down my supply to just those I consider "essential" and probably the most expensive item I use is either my Irisch Moos or my Tabac. I gave up on the fancy soaps in the wooden bowls. Man, those Germans know how to make a fine soap (Palmolive, Speick, Irisch Moos, Tabac).

16. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Try the Wilkinson's stick, Mike. I think it's in the pricepoint of Palmolive, and also gives a fantastic lather. :signs002 I think I still have your addy around somewhere... ;)

17. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Wilkinson stick with lanolin on it mis simply outstanding and as I have wrote before almost 10 times cheaper than MWF.Also Erasmic old formula is a great too.And Im agree with DrMike,those germans knows how to make EXCELLENT soaps.

18. Dr. Mike

Dr. Mike New Member

I'm still not sure who is up on top in terms of this back and forth of ours. Problem is, I have run out of things to give away!!!! I have narrowed my drawer down so much, that I don't have much in the way of excess!!!

Plus I still owe you for the industrial CD!;)

19. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I'm not keeping track, I just have something I thought you might be interested in trying... actually, I think I have a few things...:rolleyes: :D :happy102

20. Soap Guy

Soap Guy New Member

I never have understood the whole voodoo ritual of soaking the soap, wringing the brush out, collecting hunks of soap, bowl lathering, hand lathering, etc. The only thing one really needs to do is to soak the brush for a bit to soften it up. The goal is to get lather on your face not all over the place anyway.

You pick the brush up out of the water after a couple of minutes, hold it sideways and let the water run out of it, once it starts dripping start working up a lather in your mug. Once you get a bit of foam going start face lathering. You might have to go back to the bowl a time or two to get a good lather on your face but its faster and you get a better and more consistent lather by doing this.

Soaking the soap to soften it just means you use more soap, soak the fragrance out faster and waste more. My grandfather taught me this way about 35 years ago. Its the way I've done since then except for the years that I used an electric before circling back around to a blade again.

ETA: Let me say a little about brushes too while I'm at it.

Brushes have been around for a long time and those used for painting and shaving have a lot of commonality. Bristles bound together and affixed to a handle. But there is a bit more to it than that. Type of hair, stacking, knot size, reservoir size, type and size of the handle, etc. For a shaving brush a fairly stiff bristle is desirable but not so stiff that is doesn't bind readily. The reservoir should hold a tablespoon or so and unload readily and rapidly when applied to the surface of a soap. Wringing the brush out is actually contra-productive to the way the brush is built to be used. Likewise shaking it out is something that should be done after you've rinsed it out and are ready to hang it to dry.

A shaving brush should be dried hanging bristles down. That way the water remaining in the brush won't loosen the knot over time. A well made high quality shaving brush should last many, many years if rinsed properly after each use, allowed to dry properly and not wrung out like some kind of wet rag. I tend to shake my brush out with a rather gentle motion rather whip it around like some kind of house painting brush.