I don't use tape...

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by dangermouse, Oct 9, 2017.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I just bought a razor and in conversation, after the sale, the seller wrote: 'I don't use tape - it affects the angle'. Now I realise, what I initially thought was reflected light along the shoulder is probably hone damage. You have to be so careful on eBay when you don't know what your doing :)

So, should you use tape? Surely if you don't then your just slowly destroying the shoulder and spoiling the look of the blade. I'd love your comments please. It has soured slightly my initial pleasure.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

Keithmax, jimjo1031, JazzDoc and 2 others like this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Generally no but a layer of tape isn't a biggie in my opinion. Alot of people use it, for me it's a situational decision. So yes I use it sometimes and sometimes no.

Keithmax, alpla444, jimjo1031 and 3 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes, always. It effects the feel, on the stones, but extends the life of the razor, IMHO. Nothing more sad than a nice big old blade, with a worn out spine.

Keithmax, alpla444, RezDog and 4 others like this.
  4. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

This is an Interesting Video on the Subject..Of the Controversial Issue of Tape or No Tape..The Only thing I Will Say is that if a Razor has Been Honed without Tape for Long Period of Time & has Associated Long Term Hone Wear on the Spine..They Can Need Taken to the Bevel Hone...Otherwise I Can End Up with a Double Bevel if I Use Tape..;)

Its the Long Term Hone Wear on the Spine that HAS Altered the Geometry of the Blade in these Cases Over the Years it has Been Honed Tape Free.. :)

You're Question about Spine Wear..I Always Use Tape..The Camp that Suggest SR Blades are Designed to be Honed without Tape Cause the Spine & Blade Geometry Wears Even Doesn't Stand Up to Me..Some SRs Need Some Amount of Work & Steel Removed on the 1 K Stone..The Spine isn't Long Disappearing on the Hone..:happy097:

That Said..I have Refreshed Many an SR Without much Hone Wear with Tape that has Been Honed without Tape..No Problem..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    Keithmax, jimjo1031, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  5. dangermouse

Thanks Billy that was an interesting video. I don't understand what a smiley profile is or what honing toward a smile is. I also don't understand what under cutting is. Could you explain a bit further, please. I assume when I am using (or trying to) my touch up stone that I need to do both of those things.

It seems to be a matter of preference. I don't understand why someone would choose to alter the symmetry and beauty of a blade by grinding away the top edge of the shoulder, when there's no need.

Keithmax, jimjo1031, Spyder and 3 others like this.
  6. dangermouse

I agree, I think it spoils the razor.

7. dangermouse

By not using it, aren't you spoiling the look of the razor, even if that might take a long time, by grinding away the shoulder? I think it does, but my knowledge is practically non existent so, in asking this question I'm just trying to learn and gain a better understanding.

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Under Cutting is When the Blade is Undercutting the Water/Slurry..In Other Words the Water is Flowing Evenly Over the Top of the Blade..That's a Sure Sign the Bevel is Set or Near Set..;)

A Smiling Profile is a Blade with a Smile Like the One Above which is Very Clear to See..To be Honest..Most SRs have a Very Slight Factory Smile or a Curvature or Roundness..Vintage Ones in Particular..My Herder Solingen at the Top is an Example of a Very Slight Curved Spine & it has a Natural Curvature on the Blade..Very Subtle.. :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

New or used, when I hone, I always use a layer of tape on all my SRs. I like to keep it simple. That's just the way I am....simple.:chores016:

10. Billyfergie

There are Some Purists that Like to Use the Traditional Method that Our Fore Fathers Allegedly Did..Using No Tape..Some Purists will Not Use Synthetic Hones Either..That's Fine..:happy088:

11. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I use a layer of tape. It has to be 3M tape though, or it just isn't right ;)
    I also use synthetic stones:)

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I like smiles on my razors. :D
    Frowns? Not so much. :rolleyes005:

13. dangermouse

Thank you :) there's a lot to take on, in this adventure into straight or smiling razors.

Billyfergie, Spyder and jimjo1031 like this.
  14. dangermouse

It's arrived in the post. I have to report I am very disappointed by the the hone damage. It looks horrible.

Billyfergie likes this.
  15. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    I Dunno About Frowns..Hers is Quite Cute..:rofl:

Karl G, DaltonGang and HolyRollah like this.
  16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Interesting definition of cute Billy

Karl G, HolyRollah and Billyfergie like this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's a little more serious frown....not so cute?
    Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 7.50.36 AM.png

Karl G, gssixgun and Billyfergie like this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Both frowns look to be rather high maintenance...

Keithmax, Karl G, dangermouse and 3 others like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Ach..OK..A Bit Rough Round the Edges..:happy097:

Karl G and mrchick like this.
  20. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I stick by what I said in that vid

One layer of tape just simply doesn't matter :) other than to save the spine from heavy hands

I have still after ten years of professional honing never been asked to fix a razor because they used tape :) Fixed a few 1000 from people honing without tape however :p

Take that for what it is worth

ps: Once you learn to hone and how to use torque properly this really becomes a moot point because you should put hardly and Honewear on the spine anyway,....

Karl G, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.