I Finally Tried a Barrister & Mann Soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ohbrian, Oct 25, 2016.

1. ohbrian

ohbrian Well-Known Member

So many options out there it took me a while to pull the trigger on one, but I finally bought the Latha series Oceana. Wasn't completely sold on the scent out of the jar but now that its on my face I really like it. The lather was great and the performance is top notch. Will be ordering a while label puck very soon. My christmas list is getting smaller because I keep buying everything on it :)

wristwatchb, Kizurra, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  2. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

They make great soaps. There aftershaves though aren't that great in my opinion. They make a next tier soap called Seville that's pretty good too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ohbrian, Demidog and Bobcat like this.
  3. ohbrian

That's the one I'm thinking about getting next.

Kizurra likes this.
  4. kingfisher

kingfisher Active Member

Seville is a soap that will last a lot longer than your Oceana. The Latha series lathers up great but disappears very quickly. Last puck of Latha I got had only 32 shaves to give. Seville will easily last you twice as many, if not far more. I think the lather is slightly better, too, and I love the scent of Seville.

Demidog, ohbrian and Kizurra like this.
  5. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

B&M makes great soap. Some of the scents are not for everyone, but they are complex scents that are unlike anything else (Beaudelaire, Leviathan, 42, Seville, etc.).

Paul Turner, Demidog and Kizurra like this.
  6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Dickens. Seville. Scents are outstanding. Soap is very good.

Demidog, Kizurra and ohbrian like this.
  7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Barrister and Mann are generally considered by most experienced wet shavers to be a top 5 soap (at minimum). The B&M soaps are far superior to the Latha line, however. Seville is their best seller, and the cheapest...so I would highly recommend it. You could also go on maggardrazors.com and get samples. It would be well worth your time.

Demidog, ohbrian and Kizurra like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree with Latha not lasting long but I only got a few more out of Seville. Seville is a fantastic soap for sure.

Kizurra and Demidog like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

If I recall correctly, a guy from B&M was interviewed at the last Maggards "Show&Tell"(my quotes)and said there would be a B&M here in Boston sometime in the future.

Kizurra and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

Yea that was from the last Maggards meet up, what a fun event that was! It was cool that Mantic got a chance to do all those interviews with the artisans. It is always good to see a business expand and doing well, so hopefully they will open a Boston location soon. Highly recomend trying B&M soaps, especially the new glissant base.

Kizurra likes this.
  11. Kizurra

Kizurra Well-Known Member

Would love to see a B&M store in town, and a maggard as well. Colonial drugs is good, but a maggards,,,,

Paul Turner likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

MEET Up-that's what I was trying to remember!!! Thanx for the recommendation.

Kizurra likes this.
  13. ohbrian

I always worry when companies that make stuff I like expand and grow that the product will end up suffering in mass production. I hope not...

Kizurra likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

A Maggard would be great here too, yes. We(Boston)lost Gillette, we should get something in return.

Kizurra likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

That's what happened to Rise. If Dick Butkus and Jerry Lucas took a whiff of the current Super Foam, they'd say "That ain't what we did the ads for!" And the late Andy Robustelli(who also did the ad)would roll over in his grave. Having said this, I do still love the Super Foam, but the original was more "manly" and better smelling.

Kizurra likes this.
  16. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just ordered their "Grapefruit" scent. Hasn't arrived yet. It will be my first B & M soap. Why grapefruit - I do not know (seemed like a good idea at the time) - should be interesting.

PickledNorthern and Kizurra like this.
  17. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I wanted to try their Arctique soap but suddenly I lost interest in it. Perhaps next year.

18. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

anyone try cheshire?

19. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Lol you really like the Rise huh?

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

That I do, but when I run out I'll have to see if my budget can handle another order.