I guess I missed the boat on the Plisson

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Justin Linker, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Yes. Another thread about the beloved Plisson. After much gushing from reviewers and you guys I figured why not...

So I went to l'occitane and all they had was some strange looking travel brush. They haven't had the Plisson in months.

Searched online... their site has no signs of it unless I buy it in a shaving kit.

The Bay is selling it for $50+. I had no idea this brush was a rarity now. I thought it was readily available.

If you're thinking this thread is nothing but me pouting like a school kid that missed the ice cream truck then you're absolutely right... that's exactly what this is.

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think they are still selling it on their ebay site for $30

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yup, still there for $30 - with $5 same or next day delivery :)

Omelmad likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Consider this a possible case case of... 'forum-stoked fanaticism.'
    The Plisson brush has been around for quite some time. It didn't became 'the brush to have' until it began being closed out at $30.
    At the regular price of approx $50+, it generated little interest.
    Is it a good brush? No doubt it is a fine brush for the money as per the number of happy users.
    But the mad rush to suddenly grab them is what baffles me.

Comparable to the 'Fat Boy' mania of ebay. Limited supply; high demand generated almost exclusively on shave forums—a 'must have' razor.
    Like the Plisson brush, the Fat Boys are decent products, but the demand for them seems disproportionate.

5. Derhey

Derhey Well-Known Member

Nicely said HolyRollah. I do love my Plisson but I like my WD silvertip just as much. The Plisson is very soft though and, for a synthetic, does hold water and a lather quite well.

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I think it might be as simple as;
    - at $55 it was a good brush,
    - at $30 it's a good brush at a great price.

I like mine a lot and would very much recommend it at that price point.

Chuck F likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

At $30, it seems to be priced right.
    Per your excellent review which can be read HERE, it is obviously a fine synthetic brush, although the diminutive, stubby handle may be perhaps a bit small for some folks (but heck, I use the Wee Scot sometimes :D).
    In hindsight, one wonders if this brush had started out with an MSRP of $30 whether or not it would have 'caught fire' in the way it has. Probably not, as every buyer likes to feel they're getting a deal.

Darkbulb likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I agree - my pet peeve is still the small and rather uncomfortable handle - but the more I use it the less I am bothered by it. Probably just getting numb :)

9. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I cannot but help but think that this was an experiment for Plisson, seeing as now they have a dozen or so brushes with this fiber now available.

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    If anyone would like to PIF their Plisson, just PM me and I will suggest a recipient.

WhiskerWhacker likes this.
  11. Staying fresh BoB

Staying fresh BoB New Member

I was just looking on eBay for the same brush. Found it for $30 and added it to the watch list. FYI.

12. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

My interest for this brush comes from you guys and the price. If there is a least expensive brush I'm all over it because I have a problem paying more than $30+ for a shaving brush

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Have you tried a bestshave #6 horse(?) hair yet? You can't get much cheaper than $5 shipped(at least that's what I paid). :)

14. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

So I just received the Plisson yesterday. Both SWMBO and I think it feels like a little cloud caressing the face. Lightly loaded this morning with Arko and face lathered, BAM! MEGA LATHER and it feels like a cloud caressing the face. I am not a brush guy and BAD is not one of my many afflictions, but I am very happy with this brush. I consider the Plisson a fine value at $30.

I noticed a seller on eBay with six of them auctioning at over $45 so far. Capitalism at work. There is a L'Occitane storefront on eBay (link is in a previous post) that has them at regular price. I'm Not saying rush on out and grab one of these but if you're in the market, I give this brush a thumbs up.

15. Steinbeckian

Steinbeckian Active Member

Keep an eye on the site. I placed it in my basket at the beginning of the month, then dithered about pulling the trigger (for what reason, I'm still not sure). When I went back less than 24 hours later it was out of stock. I set up the notifier for when it was back in stock, and because I'm anal retentive began hawking the site to check back anyway. Hours later the same day, it was back in stock and I purchased it. This was on January 5th, and it was shipped out in short order. I would offer that it will probably be back in stock on the site well before you may think, and worst case - you could always grab it off the bay! It's the only brush I've ever tried, so I can't compare it to much. That said, it really is a pleasure to use and well worth the negligible investment. Best of luck!

16. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

Does the Plisson brush, as we currently know it, have a wood handle?

I went to the local L'occitane store a few days ago and the employee there mentioned that they'll bring the brush back but with a thick plastic handle.

Could anyone else confirm that?

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

From the L'Occitane site: "Made from hard wearing wood, this brush features specific synthetic fibers that gives both a soft and energizing touch on skin"

18. Staying fresh BoB

Well, the demand must of gone up recently because the eBay seller took it off saying no more available. So high demand probably means a little higher price. If you guys see one for $30 let me know, I'm ready to pull the trigger and try this brush.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

20. Staying fresh BoB

thank you, I will be getting waiting patiently.
    So, I took that money and ended up getting the Razorock X, XXX and the P.160 soaps :happy036::signs136: