I have a problem

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Spud, Oct 28, 2014.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Hello
    I bought this razor at a yard sale and was considering sending it to Razorplate for a new nickel coat. By morbid curiosity I took it apart. Now, for the life of me I can't get it back together. Before it's all the way in it tightens. It was functioning fine before I fiddled with it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tattoobob likes this.
  2. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Don't know, but I bet RazorPlate can get it back together.

3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I am pretty sure you broke it.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  4. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I emailed Chris to get his thoughts.

SRNewb likes this.
  5. HUF

HUF Active Member

Looks like Gillette SS from 40s. You probably took off the screw inside of the handle. Do not loose it. It does not look like you broke anything. Drive that part into the handle with the silo doors opened all the way. At the same time, make sure the knob on the handle is turned counter clockwise all the way. After the moving part hits the bottom , turn the knob clock-wise until the doors close and secure it with the screw you have removed. I never took apart this razor, but it seems to be easy.

By the way, it is in a very good shape. Just clean it with a toothbrush. Replating will not make a difference.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
    Spud likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    interesting.jpg

entropy1049 and Spud like this.
  7. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

By the way, it is in a very good shape. Just clean it with a toothbrush. Replating will not make a difference.[/quote]
    The photos don't show it but there's quite a bit of wear on the head. The brass is exposed.

8. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Is that an aristocrat junior? It has the flat base plate and one piece between the handle and neck.
    A while back I took a 40's Superspeed apart and put it back together successfully. I don't remember it being difficult - slide the threads down and then twist the knob to close it. Maybe the doors have to be open for everything to line up?
    Good luck.

Spud likes this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what it is. What do you mean by "slide the threads down"?

10. TitanTTB

Put it together like you have in your first picture; the open the silo doors and turn the TTO as if you were closing the razor.
    I think its an Aristocrat Jr, definitely different from the 40's superpeed I took apart.

11. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Chris from Razorplate suggested I send it to his friend on Badger & Blade who repairs, then he would forward the razor to him where it would be replated. I will try to fix it myself when I get home.

12. HUF

HUF Active Member

You are correct - the backplate does not look like one of SS from 40s.

Spud likes this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

14. TitanTTB

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you get it fixed, its a nice razor.

I think its an Aristocrat Jr.
    [​IMG]

Spud and gorgo2 like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I got it back together. The silo doors rattle but they did before. I think its a lost cause. I'm chucking it up to experience. I bought a lemon.

17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Sorry about that. The doors look to be in good shape, you should keep them to transplant onto a beater you may come across.

Spud and markjnewcomb like this.