I learn something new every day: the Schick J3

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Nov 8, 2014.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The Hydro-Magic (I2) is my "final" injector: cool looking, great grip, shaves great and opens for cleaning and installation of loose blades. But just today I learned of the existence of the J3 -- what appears to be basically the same head on the longer, Golden 500 type handle. I've never seen one before. Is it the same basic shaving head and lever mechanism as on the I2? If so I may hunt one down someday. Thanks in advance for any input.

GDCarrington likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

[​IMG]

J3 and J4 are Hydro-Magic Razors using the same mechanism with slight variations as the I2.​

RaZorBurn123 and gorgo2 like this.
  3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy108: I just weeks ago finally got my first Hydro-Magic(I2) after a solid two years of searching. My wife found it in the wild.. And now you tell me there is a J3 I need to get!!! In fact I don't think I have any J series Injectors. Does it ever end!! :happy097:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Boojum1, GDCarrington and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Thanks, Gary. Now that I know it's nickel, I'll want to find a J4, and because I do, I know I won't. :)

BigMark and GDCarrington like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Exactly!

I adapted the Hydro-Magic to accept front-loaded loose blades by Dremeling off the two retainer pins inside the head. Without those pins the rinse-out feature is kinda defeated but I never cared about that anyway. That adaption, combined with the handle, finally put it over the Pal Adjustable (unreliable) for me...but that long handle on the J series is extra sweet. The black/nickel one would pair up very nicely next to a Super Adjustable.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gary the Enabler! *wags finger*

178-bplatoon and GDCarrington like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a J1, great shaver, the round handle just doesn't do it for me. I really need to get a Hydro-Magic.

GDCarrington and gorgo2 like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Gary, just for eye-candy's sake, could you post a pic sometime of those two next to each other -- the S.A. and the nickel J4?

why do I do this to myself

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You do like to make yourself suffer. I will see what I can do.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No hurry, please. Your photography would do them ample justice, though.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here it is, just for you, because you want to do this to yourself.

Now if you get one don't modify it. They are harder to come by than people realize. ;)

SA vs Schick J4.jpg

Your welcome! :happy069:

178-bplatoon, BigMark and gorgo2 like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What a gorgeous pair! Thanks Gary!

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  15. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

That J4 is a great looking razor.
    I can picture George Jetson shaving with it...but...as this episode clearly shows, that is not what he used...

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I prefer the J3 and J4 over the I2 and the M injectors and I really like the I2 and the M injectors.

KnockOut Shave likes this.