I need advice from some trumpet players.

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Sara-s, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

As some f you may know, I am learning to play the shofar. I am getting better, but still need some improvement. To be more precise, I am getting it to sound more like music, with less air & buzzing. But there is still more air & buzz than I would like.

I have been told that the technique is a lot like playing a brass instrument, such as the trumpet. As I have never played one, I am hoping that some folks here have, and can give me some advice to play better. Thanks.

Bobcat likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Sara, I recently gave my folks a shofar for Christmas (my dad is a pastor) and had to try it before sending it on. It is very much like a trumpet, which I played many years ago. You need to keep your lips tight when you blow through the instrument. Your lips act like reeds of other instruments, lowering the note as they relax and increasing it as you tighten them. It takes some practice, but I am certain you will get it. You can also check for videos on YouTube.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Sara-s and Bobcat like this.
  3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

macaronus likes this.
  4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I know that, in theory. I can sort of do it, but not sure how to do a better job of it. Looking on YouTube, I have found videos on playing the shofar to be rather unhelpful. Are videos on playing the trumpet more instructive?

6. lightcs1776

Sorry, there wasn't a YouTube the last time I took trumpet lessons. Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to practice 10-15 minutes a day. However, although I can play, I am not the best teacher.

Sent via mobile - Chris

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

OK thanks. That's a good start.

8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Great, now in addition to a medieval lute, didgeridoo, ukulele and bagpipes, the shofar looks like an instrument I want to play! I guess I'll have a full (and loud) retirement!

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wonder if that guy has a "derby" he can put over the trumpet, and rotate moving it, so as to get the "oooAAAAAAOOOOaaaaaaOOO" sound.

10. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Dinah Blow Your Horn?

11. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

When you buzz your lips and tighten to change pitch, tighten at the corners of your mouth. Its kind of a hard thing to describe but once you do it once you know it.

It might blow more clearly at a different pitch then what you are playing. My didgeridoo likes a particular range better than others. Try loosening and tightening up until it is clearest then work on hitting the possible pitches from there.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Here is a method of learning to lip buzz....You can do this, but skip the mouthpiece part and just go to the shofar.
    Also you can watch what they are doing, and substitute the notes you need to play on shofar. Buzzthem first and then buzz and just touch the shofar onto your lips so the sound comes out the horn...

And this vid will be much more basic in showing how to create the buzz

13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

BTW....congratulations on getting into the shofar.....
    If I know what range the instrument is and what the range, the lowest to highest notes that you need to be able to play to be able to perform the music pieces you want to perform....Then I can be of better help...

If you want to do a Skype session...PM me....I'd be happy to help...I should add, I have never played a shofar, but I'm a career trumpet player...

This one looks cool to me aswell...

And I like how this following guy, tells you to relax....It's about relaxing and allowing the moving air to get your lips to vibrate....Don't force it!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    macaronus, PLANofMAN, Sara-s and 2 others like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Bird Lives those videos are among the most helpful I have seen. Thanks.

macaronus likes this.
  15. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Got some more help and learning a lot now.

lightcs1776 likes this.
  16. lightcs1776

Great to read that you're keeping at it, Sara.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Sara-s likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks. I am once again, blown away by the thoughtfulness of TSD members. @Bird Lives is a talented musician, who has helped me by way of Skype chat. I have a great deal to learn, but have already gained much from his tutelage.
    Below, is a "before" video of me playing the shofar. Once I have gained more skill, I will post an "after" video.
    [​IMG]
    Click the picture to hear me play, if you dare. (Just try not to laugh too hard.)

macaronus, richgem and lightcs1776 like this.
  18. lightcs1776

Sounds like progress to me. And as long as you are enjoying learning how to play (and hopefully about the history of the shofar), then it's a great endeavor.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Sara-s likes this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I love reading this thread! I'm a high school band director, so people learning about music and pursuing it, even as an adult, is near and dear to me. Great job @Sara-s!

Sara-s and lightcs1776 like this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

We have some wonderful members, don't we?

And since we're handing out props, ... a shout out to @macaronus who just took an entire on line Dutch proficiency test and emailed me the results so that I would have the right answers to compare. (The test only gives you a score, not the right answers.)

sorry... back to our topic.

macaronus and Sara-s like this.