I need help/advice for a new head shaver

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by GSlim66, Apr 29, 2015.

1. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

Hi guys I have a young friend that is new to DE shaving and is looking to start shaving his head. He is early twenties and just got married so he is low on dough. He was asking my opinion on what to use and how to go about it. Do you guys have any ideas on what works best? I don't have much but I was trying to get him started with a few things so I was thinking of pif'ing him an old tech along with a few Derby's I have along with a few soap samples. Do you guys have any input if this would work or is it too choppy to go DE on the head? Can he or should he use a brush?
    I'm unsure but he is really unsure what to use and I'm just trying to help him out best I can.
    Thanks for the input.

Austinoire likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I use the same setup on my face and head.

txskimo likes this.
  3. GSlim66

So no one else has any advice?

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There's a 6 page thread titled "razor of choice for head shaving" in this Head Shaving forum.

Sorry, can't make the link on my tablet.

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Tech would be a great choice for head shaving. I used one for most of last year.

BigMark likes this.
  6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Something mild. Tech, SuperSpeed, Krona. I lather right on my scalp.

7. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Tech is a good choice. Soaps that need a brush to work and A brush to go with them is a good call.

Throw in a selection of say 6 different blades five each and a nice bay rum aftershave or the like and he will be quite well fixed up for head and face shaving.
    You are a good friend!

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby has a travel tech. When we travel, he uses it on his face and head, with equally good results. And I agree with everyone here about a brush. It is a good idea. Since he is new to this, he also might want to try some pre-shave oil. It's cheap & easy to make (see Tutorials.)

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Austinoire likes this.
  9. GSlim66

Sounds like a tech is the go to razor. I'll have to check the Bay.

10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Tech or Super Speed (just not Red Tip) are what I would recommend for a beginner. If he doesn't like the idea of vintage then the Feather Popular is also a good option.

11. GSlim66

Thanks for all the input guys. i hope to get this off to him soon.

12. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

This may not be the consensus bUT I would suggest just using the safety razor for face foe a while to get used to finding and holding an angle pressure etc. Once he does that head shaving will be easier with safety razor. In the meantime he can get a gillette vector or P II handle for a few bucks and personna pivot plus blades for his head. After a couple of months he will be set. Just my thoughts.
    Other than that I use whatever razor I use on my face on my head with good results.

13. Austinoire

Austinoire Active Member

Welcome to my world. I can so identify with the original post.

14. Master.Legend

Master.Legend Member

I've been head shaving cartridge for 4 years now and thin beard lined up tight. I would kill blades to expensive. I went gem single edge to start as I like the tradition and wow what a shave I am not bald have hair on top and sides and fly through my head every morning with my se in 5 minutes tops. I do keep some Mach 3s in the cut for a touch up or if I want to feel that shave again.