The ever expanding list of favortie soaps...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Kokak, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

After hearing much about Catie's Bubbles I ordered a tub of Tonsorial Parlour. Now I am here in my office, so I will not have a chance to lather it up but I am not to excited by the scent. My sniffer isn't the greatest and I am terrible at describing what I smell. That being said...

There is a lite citrus/floral scent (which I like), followed closely by some powder and then by what I can only describe as a waxy sort of plastic like smell. Now, once I get a little into my lather bowl and start to whip it up, things may change.
    This is just my 1st impression and is likely to change. I will post my impressions after this evening shave.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

It's gonna be fine. A little Clubman or Canoe to finish that off and you'll be good

Kokak likes this.
  3. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Okay, I just finished with my evening shave and my 1st try of Catie's Bubbles...

WOW!

The scent did get better, but definitely not my favorite. But the lather, slickness and post shave feel was WOW. I just need to find a scent of theirs I like and it will be perfect.

4. RetLEO-07

I have "Barnegat Bay", "Florentine Fern" & "Sunrise".

Kokak likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

So the new and improved top 3 are...

Tabac
    Stirling (still choosing favorite)
    Catie's Bubbles (still choosing favorite)

I am glad Tabac only comes in the 1 scent, otherwise I would run out of room testing the different scents to chose the one(s) I like. I returned the Catie's Bubbles I just bought and ordered directly from Catie's site. I think the vendor I got this from (on Amazon) had a really old tub sitting around that they sent me. But I really enjoyed the lather and post shave feel so I ordered another "Tonsorial Parlour" (it deserves a 2nd chance) and a tub of "Sunset".

RetLEO-07 and Linuxguile like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

Since they're based here in NJ I get my goods super quick. Ordered on Sunday here by Tuesday this time.

Kokak likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

RiseIntl is in north Jersey-I'm only 4 hours from that area so their shipment was nice and quick.

Kokak likes this.
  8. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

For me:

-Cella
    -Barrister and Mann Latha Series
    -Soap Commander

All are fantastic soaps, great prices, and will always be found in my den. They are the only soaps I even use anymore.

Kokak likes this.
  9. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

@Kokak
    I didn't catch this thread 13 days ago when it started.

I had to chuckle reading through it just now and watching two of your top three change so quickly.

Stay with this hobby awhile and you'll find it easier to say "top ten" or "top twenty". Three can become too restrictive. ;)

Straight razor dandy and Kokak like this.
  10. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

+1
    I would have a much easier time with a bottom 3 because there aren't many soaps I haven't liked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Brown, Kokak and John Beeman like this.
  11. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

I would find a bottom 3 to be impossible. To me, pretty much every soap I have tried has been great so there is no such thing as a bottom. Scent is a preference so that would be the only reason a soap would be low but the base from everyone has been great. I wouldn't feel right even thinking about that list.

Top 3 right now is Barrister & Mann, Saponificio Varesino and Stirling but I have just returned from Pasteur's Pharmacy and added soaps from WSP, PannaCrema, I Coloniali, Tabac, the new Tallow & Steel and Soap Smooth that I think it is going to be a photo finish as to who is on top. I think whatever I use that day will be the top soap

jtspartan likes this.
  12. David W650

David W650 Active Member

Hmmm...

Seems I've settled down to three and they are Arko, Cella and Tabac.

They seem to work for me in the areas of scent, lather, and changes in the seasons etc.

theFAT98 likes this.
  13. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I wish i could do a top 3! Probably struggle to do my top 10! Haha

First world problems.

David W650 likes this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

@Kokak
    What have you tried on the list below?

Barrister and Mann, saponificio varesino, mickey Lee Soap works, Martin de candre, L& L Grooming, dr. Jon's vol 2, klar, penhaligons, and jabonman.

15. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  16. Straight razor dandy

What scents do you prefer?

Kokak likes this.
  17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Smells like somebody's working a sale..........

18. Straight razor dandy

That stuff is for PMs. I figured I could help guide him a bit so he doesn't go out and overspend...like I did:(

19. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

With my limited experience (tried maybe 15 different soaps/scents) Here is a list of scents I like...

Tabac
    RazoRock xXx
    RazoRock Single X
    Stirling Lime
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Stirling Piacenza

I am terrible at trying to describe scents. All the above are scents I find myself liking, a lot.

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Guide him into buying stuff you have for sale.

Fixed it for you.