The ever expanding list of favortie soaps...

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Kokak, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Those are all either citrus or cologne-type scents, except tabac. That is definitely a good start.

I would recommend trying some samples of other scents just to see what is out there that you might like. Florals, woodsy scents, industrial, vetiver, dirt scents, oud, patchouli, etc.

My issue is that I like a VERY wide range of scents, which means that I really like trying unique items as well as having many options available.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    theFAT98 and Kokak like this.
  2. schickter

schickter New Member

My top three would be:

Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
    Jabonman/Eufros Fougere Tallow
    Wickham 1912

3. David W650

David W650 Active Member

I know the feeling.:ashamed001:

It was hard but I've settled down to just three.

4. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

While out visiting a client I decided to see if there were any shave shops in the local area. I found one!
    The Old Town Shaving Company in Pasadena CA. I walked in and man did I feel like a little kid at a toy store. They had shelves of different soaps, razors and brushes. Not to mention Aftershaves, balms and lather bowls. I mean, this was awesome! I limited myself to 30 minutes, because I needed to get back to my office and honestly... my wallet could only take so much.
    I was able to smell a huge assortment of soaps and splashes. Yes a few items were priced a couple of dollars more than what you can find on Amazon. But you can open and smell them before you buy. I am a firm believer in supporting local small business and have no hesitation buying any item here.
    No I do not work for them or in any way represent their interest. As a new shaver, I would appreciate anyone letting me know of a local store I can walk into and actual handle some of the items I am thinking of buying.
    I did pickup 2 soaps (had 5 in my hands at 1 time).

[​IMG]

Halvor likes this.
  5. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Ok... so I am expanding my top 3 to accommodate my top 5 Shave Soaps...

Tabac
    Catie's Bubbles Sunrise
    Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    RazoRock Single X

I do like the other soaps I have and they will be in my rotation. But if I had to limit myself to only 5, it would be these (for now). I do have a tub of Stirling Barbershop on its way in, along with the Pre Shave Oil and Aftershave Splash (+Menthol).

PLAla likes this.
  6. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I like your Tabac in your top 3 but I'm not familiar with your other 2. My top 3 consists of:
    DR Harris Arlington
    MWF
    Tabac.

Kokak likes this.
  7. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

I have yet to try your other 2 listed soaps. Although I did try Phoenix Soaps Cavendish. This soap just moved RazoRock Single X off the list. So my new and improved 5 soap list is...

Tabac
    Catie's Bubbles Sunrise
    Captain's Choice 45th Parallel
    Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill
    Phoenix Soaps Cavendish

I really think the list will soon be a top 10 , in the coming weeks.

PLAla likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    You're a fan of CRSW clearly. I am not a fan of his scents, at all.

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Tonsorial Parlour is the only CB to remain in my den. At first, I thought the predominant scent was lemon verbena, but I have been told that it is citronella. An acquired taste.

Kokak likes this.
  10. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

Looks like I'm gonna have to try Catie's Bubbles in the distant future, too much hype not to. I would like to throw Big Easy Soaps and Tinctures in the mix. IMO, it beats XXX and is a contender with Stirling. The scent I have "Purple Haze" may not be for everyone but the other scents they have are interesting. By the end of the month I hope to have 2 more of their scents and at least 1 after shave.

Kokak likes this.
  11. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

UPDATE***

Here are my top 5 soaps (at the moment):

#1... "FABAC"
    this is a mixture of a 'snurdle' of Tabac added to a 'snurdle' of MWF, then mashed into the bottom of my shave bowl
    #2... Long Rifle Bay Rhum
    this is a great performing soap and the scent is awesome!
    #3... Catie's Bubbles Sunrise
    another great performer and the menthol starts to sneak up on you during the second pass
    #4... Soap Commander Commitment
    all of his scents are really nice. This is my favorite.
    #5... Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations Tobacco & Bay
    Great performance and a really nice scent
    The above are all top notch soaps and have never left me disappointed. I have about 30+ soaps in my den (at the moment) and have now started thinning out the herd in order to just keep the best performing and the scents I enjoy the most. I have realized there are too many great soaps to own and am trying to keep my collection down to where I can use every soap at least once a month.
    I also recommend everyone to try "FABAC" if you enjoy Tabac and or MWF, this is an AWESOME combination!

12. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

+1 on Sunrise. It along with C O Bigelow cream or Proraso Green are my go to for Menthol Monday!

Kokak likes this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Here are a few for your list: Stirling soaps, barrister and Mann, Mickey Lee soap works, Dr. Jon's, saponificio varesino, Martin de candre, L&L grooming.

Kokak likes this.
  14. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

Stirling is my #8. B&M is #13. The other are still to be tried...

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

wasted little time getting that 4th, eh??? :)

Kokak likes this.
  16. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm glad to seeing others giving Lisa's Natural some props. I have several of her soaps. The Cedar and Saffron soap is my favorite. Tobacco and Bay is a nice light floral.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

GatorJoe and Kokak like this.
  17. SharptoothC

I've found two of his scents that I enjoy. One in particular is Barbeire Sapone. I didn't have any love for it at first sniff, but it has grown on me to the point that I now pull it out at times just to smell it. The bad part of that is that the scent is no longer made. The other is Limenthol. It's a nice chill lime.

18. SharptoothC

I've gotten to the point where I now only have stuff in my den that I actually like. Were I to have to pick a top three on a combination of performance and scent (understanding that scent is subjective and performance is preference-based), I would have to extend it to a top four:

Tabac
    Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Stirling Baker St
    Lisa's Natural Cedar and Saffron

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I think when we get to 2019, I'll have a serious look at Long Rifle. By what's the clove factor in their Bay Rum?

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  20. Kokak

Kokak Well-Known Member

So far it is the only Bay Rhum I don't have a reaction to. Example: I can't use Captain's Choice nor Stirling's Bay Rum because of the Bay in them.