I really, really hate when this happens...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

...you get an old razor in the mail bought off site X.
    And when you open the package there is a razor blade IN the razor.

I'm not sure if they think they are doing me a favor by including the blade..or if they simply haven't opened it up to check...regardless it's a total accident waiting to happen...

[​IMG]

Ryan B and fram773 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Some people!:rolleyes005:

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Very common with razors found in the wild. First thing I always check for.

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe I'm too critical? lol
    But seriously, I hate seeing blades in razors at antique shops, etc - and even worse in an item I've bought and open up at home.
    Maybe it's just me :)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

The least they could do is let you know how many shaves it's been through so you at least have an idea of how many more you might get.;)

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I actually laughed. :)

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Like Steve said, very common. Some people are lazy, other's don't know how to remove the blade. And, if you're getting an injector, there's no easy way around it. BUT.... a note saying something to the effect of "LOOK OUT" would be nice.

The_Dude_Abides likes this.
  8. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

I've always found it odd that so many sellers don't do even a minimal cleaning, something that might help them get a better price. I think it's that they're not shavers, don't know anything about it other than that it's "vintage" and decide it's best to leave it alone rather than chance decreasing its value. They probably see the blade as also being vintage and think it may have some value.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

We are razorcentric , we love razors and really see them as having value. To all others they are just old useless junk that can be sold or trashed. We take time with something we value if its of no interest to the seller why would he take time , he wants to sell and get on with what he values. They are not thinking about the blade inside or condition or anything except" I can sell this old thing? .

The razor seller checking for blades, cleaning the razor , hitting with a Dremel and some Maas, posing it for pictures, that GUY knows the real value and we don't want him . lol

10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Was it advertised as "shave ready?"

gzp and Hanzo like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny man :)

12. richgem

Well... technically speaking....

Hanzo likes this.
  13. stonyloam

stonyloam Well-Known Member

I could not care less what the seller does. Matter of fact I would rather they sold it " as is". Picked up a nice "51" SS black tip out of pile of junk for 5 bucks a couple of weeks ago. It cleaned up really nice and that was waaaaay more fun than paying four X more cuz it was "clean and shiney". Just treat a razor like a gun and "always assume it is loaded" LOL!

14. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

a member posted a particularly nasty picture of a 1912 with gross caked long blond hairs on a 50+year old carbon vintage blade.

My question is did some guy get stuck on island for a year straight and decide then to shave once and then stop ? How many hands has it changed with those nasty hairs still there? Did the substance-abusing ebay seller think they came from Zeus himself's nether regions and thus thought to enhance profit by posting pictures of the holy hairs in question?

Dapper-in-a-can-man likes this.
  15. richgem

Huh. Who knew that Zeus was a blond. :rofl:

16. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

He also has feathers and loves mortal women :eek:

17. richgem

Many mortal women from all reports.

18. The_Dude_Abides

The_Dude_Abides Active Member

Most junkers and antique folks subscribe to the maxim of not doing anything intrusive to the item in question. Removing patina can affect value; cleaning items can cause permanent damage if you don't know what you're doing, etc. It's best to just leave things be and let the next owner decide what happens next. With that being said, it would be nice if the seller gave a heads up, but I've learned the hard way to ALWAYS check a wild caught razor when it arrives at my home.

Hanzo and CyanideMetal like this.
  19. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Exactly!!

20. Cool Breeze

Cool Breeze Sushi Shaver

It's not just you Brother, I HATE it when they hand you a razor at an antique shop or flea mkt. and it's loaded. Hep. waiting to happen.