I received a MONSTER in the mail

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Misphit, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Their are other vendors on e-Bay with these razors. I found some while looking around.

Misphit likes this.
  3. jbennett

jbennett Member

Broke down and ordered one. Will that handle for on a tech? I got a flawless tech the other day but the handles are a little light for my taste.

4. Latherette

Latherette Active Member

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. jbennett

jbennett Member

It came today. I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the quality of the knurling. It's seems poorly done. Like the edges are too sharp and it may not be plated as well. Debating sending it back. All I wanted was the handle and while its heavy it's a little meh on the finish. I doubt I'll shave with the head but just playing with it I can see how you might have to fiddle with it to align the blade properly. But for $10 I guess its ok.

6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I had an issue with my first Utopia and wrote the vendor. He immediately sent me another one that I had no issue with. Write and state your issues and see what they will do for you.

7. jbennett

jbennett Member

What were your issues? Do you feel like the knurling was off on your first one. I really only wanted the handle anyway but not sure if I do if they all have that not finished correctly feel to them.

8. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

My issue was the blade not seating properly on the head. There appeared to be damage on one corner that prevented this. I would email the vendor and tell him the finish is really poor on the handle and see if he can work with you. From my experience they were quite responsive and did not charge me for the second one. Give it a try, can't hurt and you may get a keeper at no extra charge.

9. rrwatch

rrwatch New Member

Has anyone ordered the octagon gold plated handle razor ? Wondering what the finish is like and I think it could be a beast paired with my Gillette razors

10. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

I have all four as can be seen here: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-four-faces-of-utopia.38624/

The finish was nice and consistent on the handle. The handle will fit on most Gillettes so its up to you if you wish to give it a try. Hopefully someone else will chime in if they bought on as well.

11. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I did a three pass shave with the Utopia today. I'm pretty sure it was trying to eat my face off. I should have stopped at two, but noooooooo Dapper HAD to have three.

12. ocharlas

ocharlas Well-Known Member

crap. I knew I shouldn't have started coming around here again. bought.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  13. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

I have to say that I love the way mine shaves. I received it a little more than a month ago and while I have many more expensive razors it has become my daily shaver.

On mine the fit, finish, and blade alignment were absolutely perfect. It might not be one of the highest quality razors, but it definitely beats anything that I have come across in it's price range and even some costing a few dollars more.

14. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I'm going to use it again, I'm just gonna use it for two pass days.

15. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I still haven't used the head on mine. I need to find it and try it.

16. J_Man

You'll be surprised at its performance

17. Mr. Shaverman

I'll keep that in mind when I find the handle, which I've somehow lost.

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. J_Man

No need for a handle, just hold the head firmly between your thumb and index finger. You get much better control that way.

Mr. Shaverman and maltedmilk like this.
  19. Mr. Shaverman

I don't think my technique is there yet.

J_Man likes this.
  20. J_Man

And it won't get there until you start practicing...Now get at it :)

Mr. Shaverman likes this.