I think my RAD is going away

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by feeltheburn, Nov 30, 2013.

1. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I've noticed the past month or so that I can look at eBay and not even be tempted to bid on an old Gillette. I think I'm almost cured. :)

Seriously, after about a year of DE/Injector shaving, I'm starting to realize there's no magic razor out there, well except that shavette they sell at Sally's. And just so you know, they're lying. It works ok but no magic there. Oh, and the Schick Hydro-magic is pretty great but still not magic. I think I've finally accepted it's really about my skill in using what I've got.

So the past few weeks, I've been settling down with the first razor I bought. It's a Muhle R89 and I always got nice comfortable shaves with it. They weren't always the closest shaves but I decided to see if it was the razor or me. I've found it's definitely me. I've been working on my technique and for the past week or so, I'm getting some of the best shaves I've ever had. I've conquered the jawline which I always had difficulty with. Even better, I'm consistently getting irritation free shaves and I've had trouble getting shaves this close without irritation before.

I guess the RAD was a phase I needed to go through to realize I only need one good one. I'm still not ready to get rid of all the great razors I've taken in. Probably never will. I like them and if I ever need a backup, I'll have no shortage. :)

tuxxdk, Bristle Me, Shaver X and 4 others like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The RAD does slow down after a bit, at least it did for me after a while(around 2 years and a 100+razors), but like malaria it never goes away completely...:happy097:

Slipperyjoe, Shamrock and feeltheburn like this.
  3. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Just make sure you hit eBay once a day! It'll stay with you!

The other one that hooks you is VistaPrint. Their 5$ special on Tee shirts. Send them off to the grand kids every time I have a fun picture or a holiday!

feeltheburn likes this.
  4. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

Yeah I thought I was cured too! Then I went and bought a Shavecraft 101 and a Cobra Classic...and I plan on getting a Tradere when they get back in stock! :S. I guess I convince myself I'm cured because I only have a handful of razors now, not dozens in my possession.

Therefore I personally believe that once the hype dies, you just invest in what you truly want, not what your curious about. :)

feeltheburn likes this.
  5. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

Enjoy your new found peace ... until RAD kicks in again :signs136:

feeltheburn likes this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

I'm trying to redirect my ADs to blades. Much less expensive.

feeltheburn likes this.
  7. feeltheburn

Not a bad idea. A lifetime supply of Feathers and Personna Labs might be next.

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear your RAD has eased off. I'm lucky I guess, I've never been a big fan of Ebay and have stayed away from it. My problem is that I have two friends that are PICKERS and they are constantly finding me razors all up and down the east coast. I've been waiting for my RAD to ease off but no luck yet.

feeltheburn likes this.
  9. feeltheburn

I'd rather find an occasional razor in an antique store but there just never seem to be any around here and when you do find them, they're no cheaper than eBay. I've found some ok deals on eBay though. You just have to be patient and even if you overpay a buck or two, it's cheaper than driving to the antique store with the price of gas these days.

Even though my RAD has eased up, I won't pass up a Toggle for $5 if I find one :).

Mikel and BigT like this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As they say, "Da' Nile ain't just a river in Africa!" :p

In all seriousness, I believe we all reach a level of saturation (and satisfaction) when it comes to acquiring items that are shaving-related. We all simply have differing levels of what is enough.
    One solution seems to be 'den clearing,' a phenomena one can witness in Buy & Trade sections of Shave Forums. Folks are constantly 'thinning the herd,' but it appears quite often, these big den clearings are often an excuse to buy more stuff. It can be an endless game where many seem to enjoy the collecting or just fall victim to temptation.

feeltheburn likes this.
  11. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Man, what an excellent post!

It seems like a lot of folks go through this process, especially for objects that they use everyday and then start collecting, not just razors and shaving gear. For some individuals, it is part of the learning and research process, and also an outgrowth of great enthusiasm over a wonderful discovery. After awhile, one or a few favorites of whatever it is are found, and the rest becomes superfluous. That is when a substantial part of the collection often gets cleared out, or at least new items are no longer added. "Moving on" is a phrase frequently mentioned. Perhaps it is enthusiasm maturing into knowledge and insight via learning? Shaving isn't rocket science. With the wealth of shaving information now available, and with practice, it does not take all that long to become pretty darned proficient.

The absence of a magic razor might be because absolute perfection is a rarity at best. Regardless, for most shavers there are some really good razors out there. At the end of the day, really good is... well, really good.

In my humble opinion, that is one of the most insightful quotes I have read on a shaving forum, and applies to life in general.

12. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I went to two antique stores (right next to each other) in Berwyn, IL the other day. One lady said she didn't have any "you guys always look for them" she said so they're snatched up quick. Other lady had an overpriced Gillette tech in not so good condition with a teeny tiny handle. No thanks. I'll just save myself the hassle and go on Ebay. Waiting on a 40s SS. I'm thinking on the day I decide to get it plated in gold my RAD will end.

feeltheburn likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've got most of the razors I want. A couple that I need. The truth be told, I've been using my Muhle R41 exclusively. Oh heck! Who am I kidding I need a support group.

178-bplatoon and feeltheburn like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

la la la la la la la la la I'm not listening to any of this la la la la la la la la la I just bought two more razors today la la la la la la la la I'm not listening to any of this la la la la la la la la and I bought one yesterday too la la la la la la la la plus a vintage shave stick container la la la la la la la la la la I'm not listening to any of this la la la la la la la la

15. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

RAD can go into remission, only to flare up again when least expected. It IS a chronic condition, and incurable. The goal is symptom control, and attempting to keep the patient as comfortable as possible as the disease progresses. Treatment protocols vary, with some advocating a massive response with any symptom flare, while others advocate constant low-level treatment in hopes of keeping symptoms at bay. More research is needed...

image.jpg

16. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

They aren't Mike and Frank, are they? LOL (the pickers)

17. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I think you speak for all of us..:smiley respect:

18. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

No, but they think they are. lol

Shamrock likes this.