I was thinking how much 'modern' shaving rips off the public.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Tim Spencer, May 19, 2017.

1. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You are correct o Fuzzy one!

crackstar and wchnu like this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

When you do the actual math it can look even better. By buying the razors in the 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s with only a smattering of recent razors purchase things look even better.

None of the electric razors I purchased in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s still work. All the DE razors plus those handed down from my dad still work.

Jim99 and wchnu like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, but shaving soaps and brushes are still in demand with the general public. Why else would supermarkets and drugstores stock them?

In a market research paper from a couple of years ago, they estimated that (maybe a bit less nowadays) 10% of the men used soap and brush.

Keithmax and crackstar like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

crackstar likes this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Showing me a corporate label doesn't prove your premise that artisan is "better", and your criteria contains a requirement that is pure fiction.

There is no mechanism in the skin for closing and opening pores. Pores do not open and close. They, by necessity, are always open. It's a myth that won't die, and it encourages hot water use, which encourages inflammation, which can cause a need for things like balm. Most people don't use balm. I recommend technique over product, especially on issues that are technique caused.

You still haven't proven artisan is "better."

Modern shaving does indeed "rip people off", but the most egregious offenders aren't the corporations....

EnglishChannel and Keithmax like this.
  6. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Whatever man. I explained myself rather clearly. Modern aftershave balms aren't good for the skin of some people and the artisan splashes are often better choices. For balms it's best for men to turn to women's products which have been clinically tested to improve the health of and protect skin. The corporate products are NOT the best even in the women's cosmetics realm. The artisans make better stuff that doesn't clog pores and delivers the protective antioxidants and moisture promoting agents to the skin effectively. Dermatologists do NOT use corporate, over the counter products. That should be a rather important fact to research. I have been to a modern dermatologist's office last year and got the brochure for the face serum. I went online and searched for an equivalent product and found that only the small business artisans were using most of the dermatologist's expensive ingredients. The ONLY ingredient that isn't found in affordable products (which was in the Dermatologist's super expensive product called Neocutis) were human stem cells. The rest of the active ingredients can be found in very good face serums.

Skin elasticity changes with blood flow, which backs the eternally stubborn observation that pores open and close and hair lowers into the shaft with hot water, plumping the skin with warm water and giving the appearance of wider pores. Sudden change to lower skin temperature and sudden traumas can cause skin to contract.

I see no problem with someone saying that hot water opens pores and cold water closes them. Even Dermatologists say this despite it not technically occurring. It is blood flow and skin elasticity changes that give this appearance. Also, hot water can stimulate the excretion of oils from glands in the skin, which can cause skin to lose moisture, while cold water does the opposite, causing oil glands to hold the oil. If anyone has ever jumped into a pool of cool water they will notice their skin tightens up almost immediately. Their lax skin will look tighter for a period of time. I don't agree that it's incorrect for someone to say they observe the appearance of pore size change when blood flow changes. I believe your debunking attempts here are a matter of splitting hairs. We all know hot and cold water has an effect on the skin because it's observable.

Within the context I provided, I proved that corporate shaving gear is more expensive than classic shaving gear. I broke the costs down pretty plainly. It's my opinion since the vast majority of men buy and use corporate shaving products, the "most egregious" rip off is from the corporations due to quantity of the people ripped off, not the small number of classic shavers paying ridiculous prices for classic style products.

Just wanted to say that I respect that you want to be factual and you brought up some points which required fleshing out. When it comes to biology, there will be some conflicting information and/or interpretation. I don't want to discourage anyone from using a modern product that they enjoy. So, don't get me wrong.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Nissim is also a Moroccan-Jewish name. That's my father-in-law's name! :)

Paul Turner likes this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I wish that was more the case where I live. In Canada, surveys were taken and the results were that VERY few men shave like we do. In parts of Europe, particularly in the Balkan countries traditional wetshaving as we know it is much more popular. In parts of the Middle East there are still a lot of traditional wetshavers, but in countries like India the trend is more to cartridge razors and canned gook.

9. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

What kinda cans of shaving cream were you using that cost $40 for 5 cans? I use Gillette and Nivea as if right now with my DE razor and I don't think I've ever paid over 3 bucks for a can. I usually get them on sale

10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Arsenic is "natural", and belladonna is "herbal". Both are contraindicated in facial products, yet they ARE exactly the sort of thing that's listed. "Herbal Body Wash" "All Natural"

Then, there's the words I've learned to avoid.

"This product not tested on animals."

That means that either 1) It's not tested at all, which means that _I_ am the guinea pig, or 2) they tested it on random children or adults, and likely didn't use proper methodology for either.

Primotenore and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Bookworm

To reference the germicidial/antiseptic portion

https://www.fda.gov/newsevents/newsroom/pressannouncements/ucm517478.htm

Companies are being told/forced to drop "antibacterial/antimicrobial" agents from their soaps because they've failed to prove any benefit beyond the actual action of the soap itself. There's at least a partially scientific reason why not to worry about the antiseptic additives. Soap and water is the major benefit. Alcohol helps as well, but then that's why there's aftershave. Beyond that, there's no benefits.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  12. Tim Spencer

I used to use the Gillette edge gel big can. I must have remembered the price wrong. I could have sworn it was over $5. Sorry about that. But even still I was being very conservative with 5 cans in 2 years. I think I was using more than that. Regardless I still think the modern shaving stuff at the supermarket is over priced and I had to find just the right products to get a good shave. With this classic shaving gear I've gotten good shaves with everything so far.

13. Tim Spencer

Good points. I was not discussing anti-microbial properties of soap, but it's a worthy additional piece of info in the discussion.

14. Fly2High

Fly2High Breaking Frugal

For me, I was burning a can of Edge gel one a month. I was using it with an electric shaver. For me, when I tried an AOS and then a TOBS creams I got a closer better shave than compared to the Edge gel. This is my reason for switching soaps. Also, every can of goo always seems to leaks some amount of soap on each pump.

As for blades/razors, electrics cannot cut ss close as a blade because there is always a screen or head thickness that limits how low it can cut.

If new carts or electric heads perform hysteresis or that lift and cut stuff, my face tended to get irritated and I got more ingrown hairs. Never really found them cutting closer. Only got more irritated.

For me, wet shaving has helped get me a better shave. What it also has done is give me a more enjoyable shave with the ability to change scents each day. I found I could go much longer with soaps and cream than with canned stuff. It is hard to say if I waste less wet soaps/ creams than canned but at least I grab what I want and do not leak it out.

Finally, wet shaving allows me to meet all of you characters and enjoy what was a boring daily requirement and instead share my experiences with you all. For nothing else, how can you put a price on such simple enjoyment. Most other pleasures in life, be it sports, collecting or other hobbies or interests come with a much larger price tag. If you are not spending on more expensive interests, is that also not a savings?

Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I remember when 2 cans of Walmart brand shave gel and a 12 count bag of Gillette Good News disposables would last me for 3 months. It cost me around $10 and I did get a good shave. However I remember enjoying the shaves more when I went back to using my mug/soap and brush that I started with back in 1981. The shaves actually got cheaper too, as it only cost $6 for the store brand glycerine soap and disposable razors. Shortly there after I won my first Gillette Fatboy off Ebay and I caught the AD bug and have gone down many a rabbit hole since.

Clayton

RetLEO-07 and Primotenore like this.
  16. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Break it down even to the beginner on a budget
    $12 weishi
    $10 100 personna (3-4 shaves per blade)
    $12 synthetic brush
    $5 razo rock soap
    $6-$7 shipping

Under $ 60 initial investment.
    $11 for another soap.. plus shipping
    Under $75 for the first year

Second year
    $11 soap for the year
    $10 100 personna razor blades

Under $25 for the second year.

Herm2502, Bama Samurai and RetLEO-07 like this.
  17. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Who can own just 1 razor... maybe Pringles should market a razor!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Jorvaljr likes this.
  18. Bookworm

$11 for just a year? That's a case of Arko. At @Bama Samurai's rate, that's at least three years of shaving.

Herm2502 and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

lol that's a couple of $5 tubs of razorock

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

You forgot the rabbit holes. Especially if the FNG drops anchor here :)

LevelupShaves and Jorvaljr like this.