I went a bit overboard obtaining aftershaves

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by McGrande, Feb 18, 2017.

1. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

As with my soaps, I'm trying to use up most of these aftershaves and pretty much stick with two or three in a rotation. I really like the Clubman and VIBR which I can now get at Walgreen's (online delivery to store). Not crazy about the Special Reserve. The RazoRock Puros is a real treat paired with the soap. I'll sorely miss that one and may renege sometime down the road. The Ogallala Bay Rum is nice. Good burn.
    I do like the Proraso Green splash & balm, but I'm trying to keep it to items I can get locally. Both the Proraso balm and RazoRock Problem Solver get minimal use but work great when needed. I can get generic witch hazel locally as well. The Barbasol Brisk is OK but I prefer Skin Bracer. Neither of the Aqua Velva offerings are a must have. They're OK, but not my cup of tea.

The little Mennen Skin Bracer bottle I've had for over 30 years. Before I retired I traveled quite a lot and that glass bottle has many miles on it.

I realize my "collection" pales in comparison with a lot of you folks but it is taking me forever to use up what I have. For you guys with a vast inventory, how do you decide what to use after any given shave?

Aftershaves2.JPG

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I try to pick prior to shave. Ive got a bathroom to myself, znd a shelfful of a/s's. Other than taking up space, they don't cost anymore. They can sit on the shelf til I use'm up. I'll only replace the ones I like.
    I search for inspiration here on the forum(sotd thread,recently acquired treads, do you like posts), sometimes I determine what i want to smell like with what I'm wearing or where I'm going. I only have to please myself and my wife, she dislikes the veg and old spice, so if I'm gonna be with her all day, I'll avoid those.

3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Easy. If my wife doesn't like the smell of a particular aftershave, out it goes. :D
    :sexe:

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just depends on the mood I'm in, or a scent I desire. Lately I've been going more towards Pinaud Lime musk or Pinaud Lime Sec. I also like Florida Water or AV mixed 50/50 with Florida Water. I'm not a high end expensive AS connoisseur; I enjoy Pinaud's collection, Avon, Old Spice and AV Musk. I like making Bootleggers mixtures such as Blue Steel and Arctic Pirate. For me, I have no special science in what I use day to day; it's just I feel like. :cool:

5. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I see 13 bottles only. What exactly is the problem, apart from you obviously not having enough choice?

6. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I like Italian and British aftershaves and colognes. Notable exception for Pitralon Classic, which is my favourite aftershave, and is neither Italian nor British (it's the German Pitralon).

7. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have a lot of aftershaves. I would guess at least 50 or so. I use what feels good.

I think everyone needs a few basic aftershaves:

A) a classic barbershop scent
    B) something light and clean
    C) something heavier and muskier
    D) something that lasts a while
    E) something that is short-lived and won't clash with cologne

optional

F) cool and warm aftershaves to change body temp/use in appropriate weather conditions
    G) an all-around aftershave that seems to go with a lot of stuff
    H) Something that turns the wife/SO on.

Some of these may fit into multiple categories, but this is a great list to start with.

The reason i have so many us that I buy the matching aftershaves when possible.

8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I decide on a scent for the day (whatever strikes my fancy) and then match everything up.
    Bar soap for the shower, deodorant, shave soap/cream, pre-shave oil, witch hazel, and aftershave.
    I've got multiple choices in many of the scents I like so that provides even more variety.
    And it's not always one straight scent. For instance, a lime day might be all lime or it might be lime basil or lime and bergamot.
    I also like trying different combinations. I didn't shave today but I used a vetiver bar soap in the shower, Tabac deodorant, and Tabac aftershave. It turned out to be a nice combo.

Primotenore and McGrande like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like Clubman as a AS that is acceptable nearly anywhere, but not one I where pior to bed. Prior to bed I where Lime Musk or Florida Water. Happy wife happy life! :happy088:

My collection consist of:

Pinuad Clubman (Walgreens)
    " Lime Musk (Amazon)
    " Lime Sec (Amazon)
    AV musk (Walmart)
    AV (Walmat)
    Skin Bracer (Walmart)
    Osage Rub (Amazon)
    Old Spice (Next time on ebay from India)
    Avon Leather (ebay)
    Avon Island Lime (ebay)
    Florida Water (I buy in bulk on ebay)
    Jovan Musk (after Christmas at Walmart REAL CHEAP)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Primotenore likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW if you have stuff you don't particularly care for, do what I do, trade it. I'm always looking for trades. Helps both parties.

11. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I usually default to Aramis(Herself's fav). She doesn't care what I wear to work. Any of my Bay Rum creams or soaps get VIBR. Trumper GFT or Limes gets Canoe, Simpsons Unscented gets whatever strikes me that morning. If all else fails there's Clubman! Oh, almost forgot, Proraso Green Shaving Cream(tube) or C O Bigelow(same-same Proraso) gets Proraso Green AS.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just have a small collection of aftershaves. Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Aqua Velva blue, Aqua Velva musk and some supermarket knock offs. Yeah, my wife likes them, so all is good!

I just grab one that I feel like using that morning.

Demidog likes this.
  13. JohnnyTex

JohnnyTex Well-Known Member

If I buy an artisan soap, I usually buy the matching AS. It an easy choice at that point.
    It's when I don't a have a matching pair, that the choice is pretty much left up to multiple choice options.

For example...if I'm using a citrus scented soap, then it's either going to be Fine "Italian Citrus", 4711, Lucky Tiger...etc. I'll try to make a match in that manner.

Sometimes, I just throw caution to the wind and just grab something from the pile. The end result is the same either way.

McGrande likes this.
  14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Last year I went overboard buying new aftershaves to try to match up with my soaps!

McGrande likes this.